Best Tournament Experience Ever

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
We didn’t win the tourney, but we played pretty well in the rain shortened 12U tourney. Our third game on Saturday was interrupted by a downpour in the top of the first after two in, no outs and the bases loaded. We were all bummed and we were waiting out the rain in the dugout to see if we could resume play. We were skeptical because the fields were already soggy. The girls were talking and giggling and just enjoying being together.

Soon after the downpour interrupted the game, we hear the girls from the other team singing a pop song. Our girls love that song and they started singing along with them. They were having a great time.

After several repeats of the song, two of the other team’s girls came to our dugout in the driving rain and meekly asked our girls if they wanted to tome to their dugout and sing with them.

It took our team by surprise, and after a moment they said an emphatic yes. Our whole team ran to the other dugout in the driving rain. They sang for 15 or 20 minutes until the game was postponed.

It took a lot of courage for the two girls to come over to a team they had never met and ask them to come over – not to mention coming over in the rain. They were terrific. I am proud of our girls too for being so open and welcoming.

It was such a sweet, wonderful experience. I don’t think I will ever forget the sheer joy of the two teams together in the other dugout. Our girls love to play ball and it is so much fun for me to see them on the field and to see how much they care for each other as they interact off the field. But seeing this one perfect moment may turn out to be one of my favorite tourney experiences ever.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
You must of been in Rockaway.

Left to their own devices they will find a common thread the binds them. Glad to hear they had fun.

LOL, last year at a tournament during a downpour I run by a field to see a team of 10U sitting in the mud rubbing it on each other. A few minutes later the coach withdrew his team.:)

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I just love those spur of the moment joys.

A couple of years ago DD's team was in Colorado before the sparkler, playing a team from Hawaii. After the game the Hawaii players each brought over a gift bag to our players. Both teams all sat under a tree together going through their bags, laughing and just having a good time together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan