Best exercises for hitting???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I know a lot of players who have suffered shoulder injuries from deflated balls, heavy bags, etc. The rapid deceleration is not good for the joint. Even TCB balls, we do not allow more than 6 swings at them, but we rarely use them. The best success we've had with improving bat speed is to do an overload/underload program using bats 3 oz heavier and 3 oz lighter than the regular bat.

I think all boxers suffer from deceleration.
maxresdefault.jpg
Not the shoulder however.

I have seen injuries from "recoil", that mainly effects hands wrists and elbows.

Oct 10, 2011
I think all boxers suffer from deceleration.
maxresdefault.jpg
Not the shoulder however.

I have seen injuries from "recoil", that mainly effects hands wrists and elbows.
And I've had 2 elbow surgeries that they blamed on boxing. I'm also a bit slow upstairs too

Jul 20, 2013
I would say that the sledge hammer and tire would be most fun and best, if your girl can safely do it.

I just wanted to add that for any type of twisting/rotation exercise I know everyone works the "swing" side/direction. Don't forget to work the "other" side as that side needs to be strong to stabilize the body and decelerate the swing. I know at our practices it's so easy to get caught up only training the swing direction.

I would also add lower body, hamstrings, quad work would be good. Lunges, bodyweight squats, maybe quick 10 yard burst sprints (not as punishment). Anything that trains explosiveness and fast twitch from the ground up. General, overall explosiveness from a dead stop position would translate well with rotational core strength movements. One of my favorite exercises for core work is back extensions with a focus on glutes (if you have the equipment) or simple hip thrusts with glute squeeze at top from the ground is good too to mix in there. A lot of people work abs, abs, abs, and more abs but forget the posterior chain.

I read that it's easier to make a fast person strong but it's very hard to make a strong person fast...if that helps any, lol. The strong person is only used to applying brute, slow twitch force to everything and as we all know..being tense, tight, and wound up leaves us slower. I imagine being strong is important, but it often over trained. I got this from Eric Cressey from one of his older articles I believe.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2015
Bench Press, Squats and Lat exercises.
Anything that hits the major muscle groups.

I would completely disagree, bench press is the most over rated exercises in sports, it does not simulate any sports movement, with the exception of a football lineman performing a drive block, even then elbows need to be in and not at at 90 degrees.

Focus on any movement that works the posterior chain that is an explosive movement, the core, and quads.

Oct 2, 2015
I would completely disagree, bench press is the most over rated exercises in sports, it does not simulate any sports movement, with the exception of a football lineman performing a drive block, even then elbows need to be in and not at at 90 degrees.

Focus on any movement that works the posterior chain that is an explosive movement, the core, and quads.
???
Ever power lifted? Your max bench press didn't help you hit the ball farther? Not at all?
How does a batter benefit from lats, squatting or power clean then? If you are stronger, you hit the ball farther.
Ask a D-I player what their lifting regiment includes....I know it includes bench press.
So are you telling me that if my 16yo DD gets to a 145 bench by this Spring, she will not be able to hit the ball harder and farther than with her 125 bench now?....

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2011
Slugger3, the bench is ok. I'd rather have them do the standing over head press. Gets more muscles involved. You wanna get stronger. Search starting strength. I'd start there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2015
Slugger3, the bench is ok. I'd rather have them do the standing over head press. Gets more muscles involved. You wanna get stronger. Search starting strength. I'd start there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Good call!
Ya, when it comes to military press, at this point I only let them do standing military press with dumbbells.
This helps them learn lifting technique and integrity.
If you throw them into a seated military press with a bar they have a tendency of getting a little sloppy with form.
Also with the seated military press they are more likely to lift more weight, which might not be the greatest if they are fairly young.
Once they start getting really strong in the military press, the front of their delts start getting too strong. So you have to make sure they do bent over flys, or any other exercise that builds up the rear deltoid, to prevent a separated rotator cuff.
This really becomes a factor with the throwing arm.
It's balancing act with lifting, especially the shoulder area.

Jan 14, 2015

I disagree with you, your post implies that the BP exercise is a waste of time, and no exercise is a waste of time.

There is a false perception IMHO that power lifters only build bulk. But what many don't realize is that all their bulk building exercises require flexibility, a full stretch and full range of motion, they are more flexible than you realize.

I suggest you put together a series of weight training exercises that work the major components that she enjoys doing, then combine that with some medicine ball routines and running to build endurance.

Building endurance is critical so she can withstand the long tourney days, tough practices and her own routines at home. Once you're out of energy your effectiveness both mentally and physically at practice and at play will be compromised. You need a good balance of strengthening ones body with "getting in shape", all while doing exercises and routines she enjoys as much as possible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00