Best Cold weather bat????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Of course your 9 yr old swings an 18oz bat, she's 9! That's the point, all of these warnings about cold weather are for much bigger, stronger players!

May 7, 2012
South carolina
I apologize for being snide. I promise you that I'm not usually so sensitive. I honestly appreciate and respect your input and opinions. I am a father who has played baseball and slow pitch all of my life, but I have never been around fast pitch until now. You guys in the colder climates obviously know how a composite bat stands up to the cold. We live in South Carolina so it is probably a non issue. Again, I am sorry for reacting the way I did because I know I will need to rely on your advice on many things in the future!

Jan 25, 2011
I apologize for being snide. I promise you that I'm not usually so sensitive. I honestly appreciate and respect your input and opinions. I am a father who has played baseball and slow pitch all of my life, but I have never been around fast pitch until now. You guys in the colder climates obviously know how a composite bat stands up to the cold. We live in South Carolina so it is probably a non issue. Again, I am sorry for reacting the way I did because I know I will need to rely on your advice on many things in the future!
Nothing hurt, sometimes, we try to be funny and dont think someone might not find it to be as funny. Let me tell you, fastpitch is awesome and after being around it for awhile baseball and slowpitch are boring IMO now. The speed of the game can't be compared to the other two. The skill needed to pitch, hit and field the ball and get those speedy girls out running the bases.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

2 important FP hiting notes: 1) its more about the swing mechanics than it is about the bat; and, 2) don't let anyone BS you that the FP swing is different than the high-level BB swing

Apr 11, 2012
Since the kid's only supposed to use Worth bats now, I figured it was cheap insurance for her nice 454. Too bad none of the aluminum bats she already had were Worth brand! No wait, that's not entirely true. We do have an old Worth 26/17 sitting around; I saw it just the other day. LOL

wow!....your DD has a bat contract & deal with Worth and swings a 31/20....now that's impresssive?

Apr 1, 2010
wow!....your DD has a bat contract & deal with Worth and swings a 31/20....now that's impresssive?

Well I love her dearly, but she's no Crystl Bustos. ;-) She's just an ordinary 12 yr old kid, but her team is Worth-sponsored and their coach has asked them to carry only Worth bats in their bags.

I decided it was worth it to pick up the Worth brand aluminum bat so that I wouldn't have to worry about really cold weather and remembering to take another bat along to the cages and then remembering to take it back out of the bag afterward, yada, yada. We were bound to mess up eventually playing around with the Easton alloy or the Techzilla.

I'd rather have gotten something heavier too, but didn't see one that looked as decent as that -11 Toxic.

Apr 1, 2010
Yep! Know her, well have met her. She is impressive! No ?s about it!

Thank you, redhotcoach!

In the interest of full disclosure, I've met redhotcoach's DD at a catching clinic, and she is awesome!

I'm looking forward to seeing you all again someday!

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
Keep hitting with it. Anyone hitting with a 18oz bat doesn't hit hard enough to damage a bat no matter what the temperature.

Not saying this is bad advice, but both my daughters broke a combined 3 Demarini bats (2 Cat Osterman and 1 Vendetta) at ages, 8, 9, and 10 - 18oz and less. Snapped them right in half. When my youngest was 8, she broke her Cat Osterman indoors however and it was in a 70 degree gym batting off her older sister.

We still have one of them because it has Crystl Bustos' autograph on the side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06