Best Cold weather bat????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2012
South carolina
My DD currently has a 29/18 CF5. When the weather gets colder this fall what bat would you recommend as a replacement for the CF5?

Thanks for your advice

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
It will be darn near impossible to find a drop 11 that hits the ball further in cold weather than a CF5 in warm weather. That being said, you might want to purchase an inexpensive -11 aluminum or metal alloy bat and be done with it. Even Anderson does not recommend using or warranty their bats if used below 60 degrees. I know many people that have used their Anderson bats below this without damage, my DD included. However, my DD also turned her new Anderson FP-9 into a triangle during BP last year with tee work when it was 63 degrees at an indoor batting facility. Was it a defective bat? I don't know. Anderson warrantied it but now she uses a cheap aluminum with the "same" advertised weight when it's below 70 or so.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Keep hitting with it. Anyone hitting with a 18oz bat doesn't hit hard enough to damage a bat no matter what the temperature.

Apr 1, 2010
Despite having a boat-load of bats already, I just bought a 31" drop 11 Worth Toxic off Amazon. It was $36 with free shipping. Since the kid's only supposed to use Worth bats now, I figured it was cheap insurance for her nice 454.

Too bad none of the aluminum bats she already had were Worth brand! No wait, that's not entirely true. We do have an old Worth 26/17 sitting around; I saw it just the other day. LOL

Mar 29, 2012
My DD will switch from her CF5 to her medoza when it gets cold. Still a composite but it was cheap enough I won't freak if it cracks and it is a one piece so sturdier.

The best cold weather bat would be an alloy, and best alloys are anderson or rip it. A Rip it Force or elite should be a good cold weather bat.

May 7, 2012
South carolina
Thank you to everyone that took time to answer. I'm glad that the fact my 9yr old swings an 18oz bat amuses others. Maybe some day she will get strong enough to crack a bat in colder weather and my question will be more valid.

Jan 25, 2011
Thank you to everyone that took time to answer. I'm glad that the fact my 9yr old swings an 18oz bat amuses others. Maybe some day she will get strong enough to crack a bat in colder weather and my question will be more valid.
okay lets be honest here. Most 9yr olds couldn't crack a bat in ten degree weather. Heck most 39yr old men couldn't crack a bat in cold weather. Living in NW Pa., HS ball is played in the spring with snow falling sometimes. The girls use the bats anyways, could they crack? Yes, they could but I myself have yet to see it happen. You have to take the kidding for what it is, it was not a slam on your dd. for ex. if you were to post a video of your dd hitting on here, you would have to put your big boy pants on and expect some negative things about her swing, that you might not like. Help you will get. It is not personal or being mean to your dd.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Nano speaks the truth!
I played slow pitch, moderate pitch, and fastpitch around the upper midwest, I don't know anyone that switched bats bacause it was cold out. The science is the ball is harder in cold weather, nothing happens to the bat in cold weather. I can't remember any bats cracking or breaking in the cold, heck I don't even remember it being recommended to not us composite in the cold until fairly recently.
I have half a dozen 600 compression evil balls, nothing gets harder then that, I have yet to crack a bat with those either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma