Best batting helmet for *lots* of hair?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2015
My daughter has tightly curly hair that is very very thick. Helmets of all kinds are always a difficult fit as a result. Are any batting helmets known for being on the large side? (Ponytail channels are of little help because her "ponytail" is too fat and pouffy to fit in the channel.) The Mizuno has the largest listed size that I've seen, but we haven't found one to try on anywhere yet. We'll keep looking, but I wondered if others have had experience with this issue.

Even with her hair braided flat to her head, it's tough to find one big enough, but now that she is getting older (14) she doesn't want to wear it braided flat 24/7 during softball season. Braiding it takes to long to do it just for games.

Thanks!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Buy an X-large helmet to accommodate her hair and put some extra padding in the ear pads for a better fit. You can find a helmet pad "fit kit" from most sporting good stores or online.

Oct 10, 2011
Schutt

Have you tried the Schutt Air Maxx helmets? Its the first one that DD hasn't complained about and she has really thick hair.

Mar 13, 2015
Thank you both. I will check those options out. I added her photo (side view) as my profile pic so people can see what I'm talking about.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
+1 on the Schutt Air Maxx.. DD has one and loves it. She doesn't have the hair issue but doesn't really like anything tight against her head. It was the only one that still fit properly but wasn't overly tight.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish