Bending at the waist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
[video]https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=627995153956824&set=vb.100002390360141&type=2&theater[/video]

See if this works

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
[video]https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=627995153956824&set=vb.100002390360141&type=2&theater[/video]

See if this works

This didn't work for me, but it could be that it is because I deleted my Facebook account in an effort to stop wasting time online last year:) We really need an IRONY font and an emoticon that shows someone kicking themselves in the butt.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
The four majors causes of forward lean are:

1) Severe bend in pre-motion (see Scarborough) that persists.
2) Collapsing stride leg resistance - knee has excessive bend, doesn't resist
3) Limited drive force off the plate - resulting in the drive leg hanging back, and head rushing ahead of it
4) Too much rotation into release - with the body 'closed' it's easier to bend at the waist... and harder to prevent.

These are listed in no particular order. Find the cause(s)... and work on eliminating them. Possible cures:

1) Start with less of a bend at the waist... lean with the head, not a bend in the waist.
2) Firm up the stride leg by showing her 'reverse posture'
3) Teach rearward/forward momentum... and an aggressive push off the plate (I find this to be the #1 cause)
4) Teach her to pitch across her body. Stay open.

Again, pin the problem... and then act on it. Best ~JS

Jun 18, 2010
This didn't work for me, but it could be that it is because I deleted my Facebook account in an effort to stop wasting time online last year:) We really need an IRONY font and an emoticon that shows someone kicking themselves in the butt.

Aug 20, 2013
Thanks Java. In reading other posts, it was explained as lean away from catcher at landing. For my 9 year old, I told her to imagine that the catcher, umpire or batter really smell so lean back or resist as you land the ball to keep away from them.

We tried it and it looked like a light bulb went off in her head.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Thanks Java. In reading other posts, it was explained as lean away from catcher at landing. For my 9 year old, I told her to imagine that the catcher, umpire or batter really smell so lean back or resist as you land the ball to keep away from them.

We tried it and it looked like a light bulb went off in her head.

I like this cue! May I use it?

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I told her to imagine that the catcher, umpire or batter really smell so lean back or resist as you land the ball to keep away from them. We tried it and it looked like a light bulb went off in her head.

Hmmmm..... the bulb just went off in my head. Wait, now the bulb just broke in pieces. Oh well, hopefully the thought will stick anyway!

Seriously, thanks. I'm going to use this one and add to it a little.

Aug 20, 2013
Feel free, by all means. We should make a huge list of ways to describe how to fix the dreaded lean to see what works. Nothing has worked yet, but she did this 10 in a row without any further explanation. The ball was all over the place, but I think that is easily fixed.

Please God, let this be the one. LOL

-GG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie