Bending at the waist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
10U DD is a 2004 with decent velocity for a 65 pounder and good control (about 2/3 strikes so far this season). She's developed a bit of a problem with bending at the waist at release (Not uncommon, I know). It disrupts her command and is a drain on speed, long term it doesn't seem too healthy either.

Does anyone have a "go to" drill for this? She adjusts somewhat when told to stand tall at release but she needs to really feel the difference.

Jun 24, 2013
Hold a pool noodle head high so she will bang into it if she doesn’t stand tall and push back a little bit.

Aug 20, 2013
I have a leaner too. You will get a lot of input on this one.

1. How is she landing? Bill Hillhouse hit the nail on the head with ours initially. She was landing with her foot forward in stead of a 45 degree angle and the momentum was forcing her knee to bend and she leaned.

2. She is trying to aim the ball in. 2/3 strikes is pretty darned good in my book for a 10U. Do you think she feels too much pressure to get all strikes and is trying to aim the ball in rather than just pitch using the mechanics she knows?

-Our PC told us this, to land and push back just slightly to stand tall. That helped some.
-I heard to have them keep their nose in the air like a snob. They think this is funny. It is pretty hard to lean if your nose is in the air.

Also, these drills are fun and quite helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvPdTFqOgj0 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LvYFW_xjc8&list=UUjRQ75AxNjmdrxNdJveF3gw

Play around with the suggestions and find just one or two that you both like and that seems to help. Don't make the mistake I have done so many times and try everything once and then give up feeling nothing works. You have to create muscle memory.

You will also hear the noodle suggestion. While I understand why that might work for some, it was just a huge distraction in our case. Best of luck!

-GG

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Axe- there are a couple of different bend at the waist issues. Some girls bend towards third to let the arm clear, some bend towards the catcher in an effort to muscle the ball. They indicate two completely mechanics sets IMO. Which of these bends are you seeing? do you have a clip you can post?

Jun 18, 2010
1. Review this thread.

Razor,

Thanks a lot for posting the vid. You seem pretty jazzed about the new PC - so understand that I'm not in anyway trying to dampen the fire... just giving you some info that I think might help your DD. As always... just my opinion...

Your DD would benefit greatly from an increased leg drive. The "C" shaped bend forward that she has throughout the pitch is a result of an early problem with this aforementioned leg drive. It's remarkably consistent throughout the entire pitch.

When a pitcher starts the lean forward, the transfer of weight from stride leg to drive leg is not a gradual rocking transfer, it's an immediate ballistic transfer. When this happens, you'll see a pitchers hips "sink" or "thrust" forward, and the result is a taller position/posture. as they start the circle (around 6ish). The pitcher should be 'tall', not bent over. Doing so, makes it much easier to reach this position at release. Here's an example... I used cat - because your description of your PC's methodology makes me think Cat might be one of their model pitchers...

2z5t2mb.gif

See the difference?

This next vid will show you that "sink" or "thrust" and stand tall method of Cat compared to your DD. Notice your DD is just swinging her foot forward, and her drive foot just holding her body up. Then look at how Cat's leg muscles flex as she forcefully drives into the plate - which is the motion that straightens her spine...

2z4b8lg.gif

As you can tell, I'm most concerned with your DD's lean - it would be my number one priority. As such, take a look at her stride foot plant. This is dangerous, and a possible injury in the making. She's planting at nearly 90-degrees - and is rolling that foot/ankle. If she'd plant at 45, everything in her pitch would benefit. Furthermore, I think planting with a flat foot is fine - but because of her 'leaning' issue, I might have her - for the time being - plant toe to heel. It might help firm up her ground force resistance... or what some people call 'blocking'.

2. Recorder her with your tablet or phone.

3. Show her the recording, then show her what you are looking for:

204dv.gif

4. Have her practice without throwing a ball. Without the ball in her hand you'll be amazed how quickly she can make adjustments to her stride, landing and posture.

Once she has the hang of it without the ball, have her throw 1 with a ball, followed by 2-5 without the ball.

Aug 20, 2013
Knight, thanks for the post. What do you think is the easiest way to describe to a 10 year old what you want her to do vs. what she is doing? Thanks!

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Thanks all , I like the keep keep the nose in the air. I'll also show her that Finch video which demonstrates it, she loves Finch.

Jun 18, 2010
Knight, thanks for the post. What do you think is the easiest way to describe to a 10 year old what you want her to do vs. what she is doing? Thanks!

JJ, makes a good point about the type of lean. I jumped to the forward lean, since it was my DDs issue.

"Nose behind toes"
"Nose behind belly button"
"Reverse Posture"

For us the root cause was trying to guide the ball, and turning into a bowler, to which I would advise, "Trust your mechanics". We have been really working on the IR/Arm Whip a lot lately. IMO, bowlers leave a lot on the table regarding speed by not whipping. DD loves to throw hard and fast, so she is motivated by whipping against a firm front side. BM adduction video has been our go to for the last couple weeks.

Big German!

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
10U DD is a 2004 with decent velocity for a 65 pounder and good control (about 2/3 strikes so far this season). She's developed a bit of a problem with bending at the waist at release (Not uncommon, I know). It disrupts her command and is a drain on speed, long term it doesn't seem too healthy either.

Does anyone have a "go to" drill for this? She adjusts somewhat when told to stand tall at release but she needs to really feel the difference.

Rick Pauly at paulygirl.com has a drill that is perfect for leaners

Jun 18, 2010

I realized I didn't do a very good job answering your question....

IMO, girls do no get to watch a lot of softball on TV. The lack of watching quality play does not give them a good frame of reference as to what position their body should be in for throwing, fielding, pitching, hitting, etc... One thing that helped my DD the most was for me to find some good quality youtube videos of Abbott, Finch, Osterman, Scarborrough, and Pauly. I downloaded them and use quicktime to step through them a frame at a time.

I record my DD, and pull up the model (Abbott in our case), and show them side by side. I do this over and over and over until we get a match, or as close to a match as we can for her age/aptitude.

When she then goes to pitch or perform a drill, her minds eye has a vision of what she want to accomplish.

Video has been one of our biggest training aids.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs