Be the Best You Are clinic in NJ - Patty Gasso

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I wouldn't sweat it ... I've heard some incorrect information from many D1 coaches that you would think would know better. It happens. That's why it is important not to follow advice blindly. Simply apply the Hanson Principle and filter out the incorrect information.

Sep 29, 2013
South Central Pa
Karen Weekly also referenced Robinson Cano in her and Ralphs session on developing young hitters. She said they showed it over and over again to the girls. She said to youtube Robinson Cano homerun swing. She never mentioned nose/belly button. I did not attend Patty's session so I cant comment on that. Too many sessions to hit them all. I just watched Karen/Ralphs again - I taped all that I attended.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
A friend of mine (few that I have) attended the clinic in Cherry hill. I just spoke with him on the phone. He taped the whole clinic/speech said he will re-watch tonight and let me know if Gasso.

Dec 19, 2012
She did, in some context. Why would I (or my coaching friend) make that up?

My friend e-mailed Patty this morning asking for clarification. I'll post her response when he gets it to me.

I'm not saying you or your friend made it up. Like I stated in an earlier post I think your friend misunderstood what she said. If Patty responds to your friend we will get the answer. Keep us posted!

Dec 16, 2012
I was at the clinic this year and Patty Gasso did not say that. At least not in the session I attended. Karen and Ralph Weekly referenced Robinson Cano in two different sessions and it wasn't about his nose over his belly button.

They were discussing the back foot during a swing and how "squashing the bug" used to be taught and how everything evolves eventually and how now "Squashing the bug" is no longer taught and actually the back foot dragging forward a bit is NOT a bad thing. They then said the best example they have seen of this is Robinson Cano.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
DD pitching coach and Ralph Weekley were friends and got into an argument over squashing the bug many years ago. Ralph was for it and DD pitching coach was against it.

It ended up the argument got so heated they have not talked to each other since.

Kind of funny Ralph talking about the change from bug squashing to back foot drag.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD pitching coach and Ralph Weekley were friends and got into an argument over squashing the bug many years ago. Ralph was for it and DD pitching coach was against it.

It ended up the argument got so heated they have not talked to each other since.

Kind of funny Ralph talking about the change from bug squashing to back foot drag.

So we can add him to Candrea, Enquist et al as top college SB coaches whose hitting beliefs have changed over time. Something to be learned here.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS

Honestly, Isn't this just going from 1 bad cue to another? I can see it now, a generation of girls leaping to their front foot just so they can DRAG their back foot. It is a slight improvement yes but, perhaps the focus should be on the rear leg and hip driving off a firmly planted foot and let the result be what it is. Some elite hitters drag while others don't.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Honestly, Isn't this just going from 1 bad cue to another? I can see it now, a generation of girls leaping to their front foot just so they can DRAG their back foot. It is a slight improvement yes but, perhaps the focus should be on the rear leg and hip driving off a firmly planted foot and let the result be what it is. Some elite hitters drag while others don't.

I call this the 'look'. Someone/coach told them the laces must face the pitcher. Hitters don't always drag their rear foot.
1z32ale.gif

2sb7mhi.gif

akwrvt.gif

Thanks to FFS for gifs
Also the Cano gif/video that the coaches were referencing came from the HR derby:
Cano_2011HRD.gif

His foot drags sideways also.
Focus should be on the rear leg and hip driving off a firmly planted foot and let the result be what it is.
I agree on the bold. Let it be doing what it be doing. (unless it becomes an issue)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie