Be the Best You Are clinic in NJ - Patty Gasso

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Coach Gasso is a great coach!

Attachments

• Cano 03.jpg
    Cano 03.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 123
  • Cano 02.jpg
    Cano 02.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Oklahoma Hitter 03.jpg
    Oklahoma Hitter 03.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 120
  • Ricketts Still 01.jpg
    Ricketts Still 01.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Accurate or not, it speaks volumes that she was referring to Robinson Cano and the HLBB. That's a huge advancement from old school SB hitting philosophies and coaching!

Dec 19, 2012
I have a hard time believing Patty Gasso actually said that. Maybe your friend misunderstood what she said? Her team doesn't hit like that.....unless they're mashing the ball in the ground via the slap or if they're bunting.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
A good coaching friend of mine just returned from the "Be the Best You Are" clinic in NJ and told me Patty Gasso was giving a session on hitting. She said a good way to check to see if a hitter isn't "spinning" is if her nose is IN FRONT of her belly button at contact. She either showed or told the crowd to look at videos of Robinson Cano at the HR derby and she said his nose was in front of his belly button at contact.
I found pictures and videos of Oklahoma hitters at contact, and almost all of them had their noses BEHIND their belly buttons at contact, and I didn't find the Cano derby clip, but I found others with is nose behind his belly button at contact.

I just don't understand how coaches say some of these things. My friend started using this cue with his team at the batting cages tonight. It's frustrating.

Cano_2011HRD.gif

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I'm wondering if she meant in front of their belly buttons from the "top" view? Meaning there is a bend in the waist that keeps the nose in front of the belly button (L to R, nose closer to home plate than the belly button), NOT the position from front to back. That would make more sense to me.

Overhead Belly Button.jpg

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
bondscontact_zps84fe5de4.gif

agonweight_zps556eed04.gif

braunhead_zpsfdb6685d.gif

Patty, since you are looking at the gifs we are making, here is a few more. The nose position at contact is not a consistent point. Too many variables. If someone is "spinning" (an action) you should easily see that their rear side is not engaged. A stop in video is not a good, or consistent indicator...and if someone uses "nose in front of the belly button" as a teaching point, I can imagine the possible results they will get.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
bondscontact_zps84fe5de4.gif

agonweight_zps556eed04.gif

braunhead_zpsfdb6685d.gif

Patty, since you are looking at the gifs we are making, here is a few more. The nose position at contact is not a consistent point. Too many variables. If someone is "spinning" (an action) you should easily see that their rear side is not engaged. A stop in video is not a good, or consistent indicator...and if someone uses "nose in front of the belly button" as a teaching point, I can imagine the possible results they will get.

That's what I told my friend last night before I thought about the overhead view. Getting fooled by an offspeed pitch will change your upper body in relation to lower body. Making adjustments whether offspeed or not will change the nose-to-belly button relationship.

Maybe it's the next BB-A$$ - BB/Nose! (I kid.)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A good coaching friend of mine just returned from the "Be the Best You Are" clinic in NJ and told me Patty Gasso was giving a session on hitting. She said a good way to check to see if a hitter isn't "spinning" is if her nose is IN FRONT of her belly button at contact. She either showed or told the crowd to look at videos of Robinson Cano at the HR derby and she said his nose was in front of his belly button at contact.

To have the 'nose' physically ahead of the 'belly button' at contact would rob a hitter of torso extension and lead to a host of swing issues.

When you attend clinics arm yourself with the Hanson Principle. Be polite and soak in all the information you can ... and then filter out the garbage like this with the Hanson Principle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC