Be cautious about this..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Even then there should not be any alone time.

I coach BB and Softball and would not consider being alone with a kid but it did happen this fall. DD was sick on a practice day and I went to the gym. While turning on the lights the door opens and one of the girls comes in. I ask where's your mom or dad? Seems they were late picking up a sibling and dropped her off. I gave her a ball and sent her to shoot while I sat at the opposite end of the gym. I did speak to the girls father who has coached about not just dropping her off. He agreed, apologized and said it wouldn't happen again. I'm protective and suspicous and would question why a kid was alone with a coach in the gym. I would never call a kid on their phone but would call through a parent if something needed to be conveyed. This guy calling your daughter is creepy.

Jun 21, 2010
Creepy is right.

DD's 11 and has a phone and if a coach or another parent contacted her I would let that person know not to do it again. One thing about cell phones--they keep records of who called, who you called, missed calls, and texts sent and received.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I've noticed that most of you are pretty set against coaches or other parents contacting through cell phones. I wonder if this is an area thing... Having seen both sides of the fence (having been the coach contacting kids and having been the kid being contacted), I don't see an issue with it. If they are old enough to have a cell phone, they are old enough to communicate with their coaches. I'm also wondering how old your kids are... if they are older and driving themselves to/from places, it might be better for them to get the texts instead of you. If a mass text is sent out about practice being canceled and it is sent to my mom, who knows when I'll get the message. Better to text me, since I'm driving myself to practice. There's an age where you have to be accountable for your own stuff, you know?

A mass text is okay, a random text from coach is not okay.

May 18, 2009
I've noticed that most of you are pretty set against coaches or other parents contacting through cell phones. I wonder if this is an area thing... Having seen both sides of the fence (having been the coach contacting kids and having been the kid being contacted), I don't see an issue with it. If they are old enough to have a cell phone, they are old enough to communicate with their coaches. I'm also wondering how old your kids are... if they are older and driving themselves to/from places, it might be better for them to get the texts instead of you. If a mass text is sent out about practice being canceled and it is sent to my mom, who knows when I'll get the message. Better to text me, since I'm driving myself to practice. There's an age where you have to be accountable for your own stuff, you know?

This was a parent contacting a younger pitcher to help his DD learn to pitch. Calling the younger girl for no apparent reason and giving her the creeps/non softball related calls. I wouldn't worry about my DD being around her coaches or even parents that I know. An unknown stranger contacting my DD is not acceptable.

Oct 18, 2009

amanda cake - i think the gist of this was how it was inappropriate for an older to contact a 16yo girl giving his dd pitching lessons for non softball/pitching related things. an older man calling a 16yo girl is just creepy in general. while i coach my dd's team and may be friendly with her teammates when i see them, i am very careful about contacting them about anything non team related or would just contact their parents directly. i would never text them or call them just to be friendly. i dont see anything wrong about coaches sending them a text about a practice or game directly. if this dad was sending her messages about pitching time or even calling about questions about her pitching i dont really see a problem. if it was creeping her out and she felt a different vibe it was right for her to inform her parents.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I'll take it a step further. Last year I helped out my DD's rec team. Next thing I know I am getting facebook friend requests from some of the players. I was not very comfortable with that. I politely let the girls know that I would not be accepting any friend requests and not to take it personal. In this day of cell phones and social media, you have to really be careful. Protect yourself and your kids.

May 8, 2008
I have the parents #s my DD has the players #s. I send a mass text to parents & she sends it to players. I also had a player (not my DD) tell me that one of the parents was friend requesting her on FB, a 44 yo man friend requesting a 13yo girl?......now that's creepy.

Aug 21, 2010
I have coached from 10u up to 14u. Just this year (14u)I have told my team that if they are going to miss or be late to anything, they are to call me or text me.
They are old enough to speak directly with me. I have not had any problems with this. I get birthday wishes via text from my team. I do not initiate any texting. They initiate it. Most of these girls I have coached since 10u and know the parents as well. If any parent had a problem with this, I know they would speak with me. I think asking the girls to speak directly with me also builds a little character. Not only do they respect me as a coach, but they also are comfortable enough to consider me a friend. I am also a female and I believe that may make some difference in this situation.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I tell all girls that I do not facebook any kids except my own flesh and blood.
This makes life simple

What we did was start a facebook group . That way only the girls and parents from your team can join. Then you can post information about the team in one place and all the girls and their families will see it.

Pictures and upcoming schedules as well as team attaboys go there. Also the families can post pictures and comments about the team (positive only).

It can work great for the parents to arrange things like team lunches or dinners at tournaments...