Batting out of order?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Don't have a rule book handy at the moment. Maybe I'm confused. I thought it was up to the defensive team to decide if they wanted to take the result of the at bat or the incorrect batter to be out.

FED and ASA now the same on batting out of order. If the defense property appeals a batting out of order, the batter who should have batted is out, not the batter who actually batted. If any outs are made due to the incorrect batter putting the ball into play, all outs stand other than an out made on the incorrect batter. The incorrect batters at bat is essentially negated and the batter who should have batted is declared out. Any advance of runners or outs made while the incorrect batter is at bat prior to the ball being put into play stand.

If you are on defense, you do not want to appeal the batting out of order until the batter has completed the at bat. If you appeal it before, the correct batter simply takes the place of the incorrect batter in the batters box and assumes the current count. If you wait to appeal it until the at bat is completed then the batter who should have batted is declared out and the incorrect batter removed from base. Any runners forced to advance, or who advanced because of the ball being put into play by the incorrect batter are returned to the base they occupied.

Nov 29, 2009
Thanks for the clarification Comp.

Any advance of runners or outs made while the incorrect batter is at bat prior to the ball being put into play stand.

I can see a coach trying to abuse this part of the rule. The lead-off batter gets on. The pitcher can't pitch to lefty slappers. Your slapper is the 3rd batter due up. The 2nd batter up is a strong single hitter right handed batter.

Send the slapper up with instructions not to swing at the ball or swing and miss hoping to get the runner over on a bad pitch or steal. Once/If the runner is moved to 2nd base then say oopps. Wrong batter. Then put the correct batter up to bat. The defensive coach won't say anything until the at bat is done with thinking they have a sure out.

I know that's way out there. But would bet it's in the play book of a coach somewhere.

Mar 11, 2009
This happened to our team at the Sparkler. We had runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs and the batter hits a homerun. Other team calls timeout and says she batted out of order which she did. So baserunners are sent back to thier bases, batter who was supposed to be up is called out. Girl that batted out of order and hit the homer was supossed to be on deck so she comes up again and hits a double on first pitch scoring both baserunners.

Sep 5, 2012
R1 at 3B. Pop-up hit into foul territory R1 collides with F5, who is trying to make a play on the ball. Girl is called out for interference. Which was the third out of the inning. Next inning, the same batter comes to the plate. Is that correct or should have the next batter been the legal hitter. Thanks.

It's up to the umpire's interpretation:

If the umpire felt that the ball (fair or foul) would've been caught with ordinary effort, they can also declare the batter out.

Did he do so? He should have announced it at the time of the interference call.

Routine - Batter out, next batter leads off next inning.

Not Routine - Incomplete AB, same batter leads off next inning.

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
I have a question regarding the following:
B2 is supposed to be up, but B3 comes up and walks. B4 comes up and a pitch is thrown. Is B2 out or just skipped until the next time around?

Here is the ASA rule (Amateur Softball Association of America (ASA)) :

Section D[3] Addresses batting out of order after the incorrect batter has completed their turn at bat and after a pitch (legal or illegal) to the next batter; or before the pitcher and all infielders have vacated their normal fielding positions and have left fair territory.

If the incorrect batter (B3) completes their turn at bat and a pitch is thrown to the next batter (B4) and then the batting out of order violation is discovered, or all the infielders have vacated their normal fielding positions, the incorrect batter becomes a legal batter. All action that occurred as a result of the incorrect batter would stand regardless of a run scoring, runner(s) advancing or outs made. The next batter would be the player whose name follows that of the incorrect batter. Any player(s) who missed their turn (B2) at bat or called out because of the incorrect batter will not bat until their spot in the line-up is reached again in regular order.

Jun 22, 2008
Once a pitch has been thrown after the incorrect batter, the at bat stands. B4 is now the correct batter and B2 would simply be skipped until the next time through the order.

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
Once a pitch has been thrown after the incorrect batter, the at bat stands. B4 is now the correct batter and B2 would simply be skipped until the next time through the order.

That's what I thought. You want to alert the blue before the first pitch of the next batter.

Last weekend this happened. We knew the other team was batting out of order and I kept telling our manager to call time before the first pitch of the following batter. He did not, he waited to complete the at bat then threw one pitch to the next batter then called time.

What transpired after that I have no idea because I was so confused as to what happened, but I know we received an out and the B3 who had walked was removed from first. The next batter was also the wrong batter and she was replaced with the correct batter. Guessing she assumed the count, as I said nothing made sense.

Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
That's what I thought. You want to alert the blue before the first pitch of the next batter.

Last weekend this happened. We knew the other team was batting out of order and I kept telling our manager to call time before the first pitch of the following batter. He did not, he waited to complete the at bat then threw one pitch to the next batter then called time.

What transpired after that I have no idea because I was so confused as to what happened, but I know we received an out and the B3 who had walked was removed from first. The next batter was also the wrong batter and she was replaced with the correct batter. Guessing she assumed the count, as I said nothing made sense.

Thanks for the response.

Once a pitch has been thrown to the next batter, there is no way to get an out. The pitch "legitamizes" the previous batter and resets the batting order. The only thing that can happen is if the current batter (the one the pitch was thrown to) is not in her proper place in the batting order, she is replaced by the proper batter who assumes the count.

Example:

B2 due up, B3 bats instead and walks.
B5 comes to bat and a pitch is thrown.
The pitch to B5 makes B3 legal and B4 should be at bat.
B4 comes to bat and assumes the count
Game continues

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA