Batting out of order?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
R1 at 3B. Pop-up hit into foul territory R1 collides with F5, who is trying to make a play on the ball. Girl is called out for interference. Which was the third out of the inning. Next inning, the same batter comes to the plate. Is that correct or should have the next batter been the legal hitter. Thanks.

Jun 24, 2013
So, if it was a fair ball would that make a difference?
Did the batter complete their turn at bat by one of the following scenarios?
1) 3 strikes and being called out
2) 4 balls and being awarded 1st
3) touching 1st before the 3rd out being called for int
As a coach I would have an arguement for that batter to hit again unless the ump awarded the batter first base and then awarded the out on the interference.
Also think about it this way, how was that batter's action recorded in the scorebook?

Nov 29, 2009
Had something similar happen during a tournament. We're on defense with two outs recorded. The opposing team has a runner on 3rd. 3-1 count on the batter. Ball 4 on the batter is a passed ball. The runner on 3rd tried to score. She was put out on a play at the plate to end the inning. On my way over to the coaches box I made sure I asked the umpire if the last pitch was ball 4. He said yes.

The following inning the same batter who was walked comes up to bat again. She hits a double. I called time and told the umpire she walked the last inning and the last out was made at the plate. The umpire called her out and we started the inning with the correct batter at the plate.

We were home team so we had the official score book. The other coach was trying to argue it was only ball 3. Needless to say he was quite miffed. Then he kept chirping in the dugout to his other coaches saying we were batting out of order, but never questioned the line-up with the umpire.

Jun 22, 2008
The following inning the same batter who was walked comes up to bat again. She hits a double. I called time and told the umpire she walked the last inning and the last out was made at the plate. The umpire called her out and we started the inning with the correct batter at the plate.

The umpire called who out? When batting out of order, the batter who should have batted is out, not the incorrect batter. The next batter to bat is the batter following the batter called out.

Nov 29, 2009
The umpire called who out? When batting out of order, the batter who should have batted is out, not the incorrect batter. The next batter to bat is the batter following the batter called out.

Don't have a rule book handy at the moment. Maybe I'm confused. I thought it was up to the defensive team to decide if they wanted to take the result of the at bat or the incorrect batter to be out.

I did forget the mention it was PGF we were playing so it was FED rules.

Nov 29, 2009
Some followup in case I run into a situation like this again so I make sure I get it right.

My understanding is if we're on offense and I discover the wrong batter is up. I remove the incorrect batter and the correct batter continues the at bat and assumes the count the incorrect batter had on her with no penalty.

If we're on defense and the incorrect batter is up when is the best time to bring it to the HPU's attention?

Do I talk to the HPU after the 1st pitch? If I do it then what happens?

Do I wait to see what the at brings? If the batter gets on base what are my options to try and have her removed from the bases?

What happens if the incorrect batter makes an out? What are my options then? Do I take the out and then let the correct batter bat without saying anything? Or do I say something to the HPU after the at bat.

It's my understanding I can't get two outs called on a BOO. If I'm wrong let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles