Batting machine bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Pitching machine balls can be much harder than regular softballs. Regardless of ball type, a bat can take only so many collisions before it breaks, composites generally are less durable than metal bats. Try and buy a beat up version of your DD's game bat and dedicate it for cage use. That way she be practicing with the same model and weight she's using in games and you're not out big bucks when the beater dies. As kids get older and stronger and play/practice more, don't count on their bats lasting more than a year.

Jan 25, 2011
use it the bat guy has to eat too, besides you can't take it with you move to the big field in the sky:cool:

Mar 1, 2012
Still confused as to why a rubber ball will affect them? Just curious? Since the break in period is around 500 balls i would have thought using it more means better results?

From what I have heard, it is the pitched ball hitting the narrow part of the composite two piece bats that causes the breaking problem. If they could hit every pitch in the sweet spot there would not be a problem.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Single wall v. double wall isn't the real issue, nor metal v. composite. Pitching machine balls are not regulated and can be much denser and harder than regular softballs (i.e., can be like hitting rocks), particularly in temperatures < 55F. Read the fine print on your bat warranty - most (all?) manufacturers state that hitting cage balls voids the warranty. I have heard that it's difficult to tell if that has been the case, unless you don't clean the dimple marks off before you return a damaged bat for replacement

Oct 19, 2009
I purchased a bat at Wal-Mart the same length, but an ounce heavier, only because they did not have a bat the same length and weight DD was using. They had them on sale during off season for $15.00. I taped duct tape around the sweep spot, the bat was red I used white duct tape for visual. The duct tape is just to give a visual of when she hits the ball on the sweet part of the bat.

That is what she uses for the machine and hitting from tees or any time she hits baseballs or any non game type softballs in practice. She saves her expensive bat for games, she also use a wood bat for soft toss and front toss now and then, but not against a hitting machine and not that often.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We probably have hit more balls over the years off pitching machines that I can count. We also hit baseballs not softballs. We have never had an issue. I agree more damage is done with girls cleaning the spikes or throwing a bat then is done hitting balls off a machine. Plus with the Barry Bond drills we have kids hitting balls in all our clinics and we are talking 100's of kids never an issue. Plus Howard/Hitter made a good comment on a post, how would they know you broke it under warranty hitting pitching machine balls?

Apr 1, 2010
Anyone ever notice what a beating the bats take between bats—and batters. Many girls have the very bad habit of hitting their metal cleats with the bat while they're in the on-deck circle. Not to mention how the bat is thrown back to the dugout.

Yeah, I can't help it. I wince every time I see DD's expensive bat sail through the air and land hard. LOL. --Also when they drop it into the bat racks and it comes slamming down on the endcap.