Batting Lineup question, big bat very slow runner.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2012
I have a player who has a great bat, but is VERRRRRYYYYY slow, she is quite a bit overweight. When she hits it's going deep, HR's over the fence or at the most double if its to the fence. She actually led her JV HS team in doubles, SLG, and 2nd in OBP. So here is my issue where to put her in the lineup, if she gets on there is a major hindrance for the runners behind her if they have some type of speed. My thoughts are to put her behind players who have speed and a high OBP just so she can hit them around to score. She has been actually looked down on due to her size, but she has a excellent attitude, really good 3rd baseman not scared of anything with a quick glove and a strong arm but her range is a bit limited due to her speed and size. So strategy wise where is a good place to put her in the lineup? Funny thing though you can tell the way she WANTS to run the bases like she has a sprinting stuck inside her.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has always been considered the fastest player on her teams, she has never been. She just makes quick decisions. The only place I can see someone clogging up the bases for her is they were on 2nd and DD was on 1st. Has it happened yes, that often no. I guess if they were on 1st a double might be taken away from DD too. DD has not gotten hits because the runner on 1st took a ½ an hour to get to 2nd, not sure what to do about this. None of this happens very often.

If you have a slow hitter bat them 4th or 5th, work with them on running the bases. Does not make sense but slow players do not seem to get the leadoff they need were faster players might get out to far.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I have a player who has a great bat, but is VERRRRRYYYYY slow, she is quite a bit overweight. When she hits it's going deep, HR's over the fence or at the most double if its to the fence. She actually led her JV HS team in doubles, SLG, and 2nd in OBP. So here is my issue where to put her in the lineup, if she gets on there is a major hindrance for the runners behind her if they have some type of speed. My thoughts are to put her behind players who have speed and a high OBP just so she can hit them around to score. She has been actually looked down on due to her size, but she has a excellent attitude, really good 3rd baseman not scared of anything with a quick glove and a strong arm but her range is a bit limited due to her speed and size. So strategy wise where is a good place to put her in the lineup? Funny thing though you can tell the way she WANTS to run the bases like she has a sprinting stuck inside her.

If you are a high level travel team I'd be headed out to the HS track team and finding a pinch runner for her. Otherwise any sub will work as a pinch runner. This is a a good option when there are others on base or no outs when she reaches base. The great thing about softball is the ability to take a payer out and then put them back in especially if you need her at 3rd base. Not enough coaches take advantage of this.

I am batting her at 4 or 5 assuming you don't have better batters on the team. Might as well give her as many people on base to drive in when she does put the ball to the wall or over it. With a bit of luck she is driving runs in with an out or two and you don't have to consider pinch running her the first time she is at bat.

And if she is getting doubles then I am thrilled to have her no matter how slow. While I'd love her to be on third I'll take a double any at bat. That is must better than the fast single runner on first.

Sounds like a great problem to have.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
4th. This isn't even a "problem". What, she cloggs up the bases while hitting HR's, doubles, and driving in runs? Better to have a slow runner on 2nd than a girl that is fast back to the dugout because she can't hit.

List her every game as your DP even if you are playing her in the field. That way you can run for her with your FLEX at least once per game and twice per game if you really need to get a faster runner on the field. The 2nd time you run for her she is out of the game. Even though she is listed as the DP she can still play every inning at 3rd Base. Just let the ump know that your DP is playing defense.

May 25, 2012
Lot of great feedback thanks a lot, this has reaffirmed my thoughts about her.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Maybe you can have a team meeting about exercise and nutrition. If she is the athlete you describe she is doing a disservice to herself. I agree fourth or fifth as a DP is a good spot for her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi