Batting Helmet recomendation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Anybody have a helmet that fit well and the girls seemed to like like? Tried a Rip-it at the store today which at least came in two sizes so it actually fit. None of the other helmets the store had came in different sizes. Leaning that way but want to know what else might be out there. Surprised there are not many posts on such an important piece of equipment. ww.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
The Rip-It and the Mizuno helmets are the ones the girls on our team seem to really like . Adidas makes a helmet called the "Incite" that I have seen a few girls wearing that actually has an adjustment dial on the back .

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
My dd uses Mizuno and likes it, she shopped for a helmet a Dick's recently,
tried on almost everything and liked zero. Every kid will have different tastes.
I have heard good things about the Schutt as well

Dec 11, 2010
Looked up the Mizuno. Nice looking helmet, the guy at the store said alot of teams are using them because they come in a flat (as in not glossy) color. I admit it is cool looking but want it to fit before it looks cool.

Mizuno has a youth size 6½" - 6¾") plus adult
S 6 7/8" - 7"
M 7 1/8" - 7 1/4"
L 7 3/8" - 7 1/2"
L 7 1/2" - 7 5/8"

Rip-it has Small/Med 6 1/4- 6 7/8 as well as a large 6 1/2" - 7 3/8" and extra large 7 3/8" +. Looks like the Mizuno and the Rip-it are about the same price. I like the mask on the Rip-it. DD both currently use rip-it masks in rawlings helmets.

Still want to see the Schutt and the Adidas. Didn't know UA made one- that company seems to have good ideas about everything they make.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Coach JV- Know what you mean about Dicks- wish they would carry one line of "sized" helmets.

Both of our local non-chain sporting goods places push the one size fits none Rawlings for some reason. I don't get that. It bugs me that the girls are always fiddling with helmet because it is too loose. Seems like they ride too high on the head and too loose on the side of most girls.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
A Helmet must fit tight. If it bounces it will effect your hitting, since your eyes can only focus on one moving object at a time. One of the things we check at camps clinics is to grap the cage on the helmet and see if it moves up and down on the kids head. If it does it doesn't fit correctly. The other issue with girls is hair. Girls like to wear it different during the season and then the helmet doesn't fit. For that reason I like the helmets you can adjust. Like someone posted, the Adidas helmet you can adjust it to fit.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
DD is on year #4 of her Schutt helmet. She loves it and is reluctant to change. Found out the hard way a number of years ago that a too big helmet affects hitting and base running. Took almost another year to break the bad habits that she acquired as a result of the too big helmet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67