Batting gloves

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Some like thicker glove and others (like my DD) like a thinner glove so that they have a better "feel" of the bat. My DD also likes a thinner mesh like back on her gloves.

And at 11 what color/design plays a huge factor! :)

I would have her try a bunch on and have her swing a bat while she has them on...

Nov 22, 2012
if you live by a sports chalet buy your batting gloves there. For $5 you get a 1 year warranty (free replacement) and when you get a replacement you can pay another $5 for another warranty....and keep on doing it...so its like buy 1 pair at regular price and $5 per pair for every pair of batting gloves after that for the rest of your life. my kids go through 4-6 pairs per year between the 2.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Grip is really the only reason to have them so in my opinion that is the performance to judge them by. Like anything else there are scales like material (leather, faux leather), some have mesh for breathability, some have extra padding. As long as my daughter likes the feel and the fit is right we go with it. The last couple of sets we've gotten were in the $20 range per pair.

If you have a high quality grip, gloves are not really needed to hold on to the bat. The main thing is protection for the hands. We have a 90 minute hitting workout where each player gets in over 250 full swings. Without gloves they would go home with blisters. The players with the higher end grips on their bats typically do not bother with gloves during games while others wear them out of habit. My DD always jokes about the players who make everyone wait while they put on a set of gloves before they hit. Her rationale is that they are only going to swing the bat 3 times and then go sit back down so why bother. :)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Batting gloves infuriate me... $40 for a pair of cheaply made fake leather that will rip apart within two months and will smell like a dumpster after a week.... what a rip off

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Back when my DD used to hit she got hold of my Under Armour tactical gloves and fell in love with them. Liked the knuckle protection for her pitching hand. Lasted a long time but may be too thick for some and at $75 a bit pricey.

Jul 23, 2014
If you have a high quality grip, gloves are not really needed to hold on to the bat. The main thing is protection for the hands. We have a 90 minute hitting workout where each player gets in over 250 full swings. Without gloves they would go home with blisters. The players with the higher end grips on their bats typically do not bother with gloves during games while others wear them out of habit. My DD always jokes about the players who make everyone wait while they put on a set of gloves before they hit. Her rationale is that they are only going to swing the bat 3 times and then go sit back down so why bother. :)

250 swings sounds great, I can't get my daughter much past 100 before she gets tired and lazy. I guess I could have stated that better in that grip is the major performance feature of batting gloves. You don't want them slipping or bunching or you will get blisters while wearing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LINBAN01