Batting Cages - fencing vs. netting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
We are doing a large batting cage renovation at our park. We have 2 factions, one that believes "hard" cages with chain link fencing is better and one that believes using netting is a safer and better solution. Softball geeks of DFP, please let me hear your opinions on this!

Mar 28, 2013
I like netting, deadens the ball much better, easier to adapt to changing needs. but that being said if we are talking an outdoor park open to the public and in the elements I would do chain link.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Chain link lasts longer. Can be locked up easier. You can keep screens, machines, balls, etc in a locked chainlink cage.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Chain link is way more durable, however torn balls and ricochets dont happen with netting either. For an open all year public cage.... I'd probably have to vote for chain link.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Like some have said, it depends what your plan is. Netting is safer as it deadens the ball as link doesn't and wont rip the softball covers. Netting also rips a lot if its outdoors. Not just the net, but also the straps you use to hold the netting up. I'm sure you have seen some net cages where they are sagging all over because straps snap or rip. Chain link is more durable and of course, more stable and lasts longer. If its for a park I doubt you will be locking it up, but if you are, much easier with a link cage. Also with link, the balls don't go under it like netting.
Most of my parks have the link cage with netting inside.

Jan 24, 2009
Built with chain link in my back yard. We use real balls and the covers are prone to wear/tear, but I would go with chain link if I ever did it again.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Well your absolute best solution is to do both. Which I have see many of times. 20x20x70 or 55 ft length cage with a #36 netting 12 x 12 x70 of 55ft weather treated nylon netting will get you about 5-7 season of use. Depending on the element and your care for your netting. Also don't forget the padding to prevent the ricochet too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid