Batter's Box Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
While putting down the lines for our 10U softball game last night I had a disagreement with another coach as to the distance from the edge of the plate to the box. I've always thought that it was 6" at all levels of baseball and softball. His contention was that the little league rulebook for softball stated 4" and he was backed up by another coach so that's how they laid it down. Are they right?

Thanks...Tom

Sep 3, 2009
Here's a template. 3' x 6' Little League Batter's Box Template But, it doesn't day how big that part at the plate is.

I can't believe that a couple of guys were giving you grief over 4" or 6". In all of these decades, I never thought about it.

Not grief Amy. It was more of a friendly banter. I know these guys pretty well. We're not saying in any way that the difference will affect the outcome of our games or the girls' hitting. I'm just very anal and curious to know if I was right or wrong in thinking that it was 6". :)
I DO know that the softball box is 3' x 7', unlike the 3x6 in baseball.

Jan 15, 2009
It's 6" per ASA rules. One of the important reasons for a head coach to carry a copy of the rules book with them is so that issues like this can be resolved quickly, correctly and without agitation. Obviously all involved should take a chill pill.

I helped my local association with fields and every year I would get at least one coach that would call me up and try to convince me that the 40' rubber (which was permanently anchored) had been moved up to 38' and they weren't sure if they should play from that or a temporary rubber. I would then hear how the coach measured it themselves and has a tape measure there to verify. This always ended with me having to explain that the measurement was from the back tip of home plate not the front side. Having a rule book with diagrams available makes these issues fade away quickly.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
SnocatzDad, your post made me laugh. People arguining vehemently without knowing the actual rules is always amusing.

I am also amazed sometimes that some people don't know which way the point of the plate faces. I will see someone using a throwdown base for pitching practice and the point is facing toward the pitcher instead of the catcher. Seems like any casual observation at all would tell you that's wrong!

Sep 3, 2009
I finally saw the LL rulebook and it is indeed 4" from the plate to the batters box up to age 12 so my friend was right and I was wrong. Oh well, not the first time I've been wrong as my wife would attest. :p

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You know that you will never hear the end of it, now. Every time you go out to put the lines down, they are going to have rulers and tape measures and levels. :)

I hope you take them out for coffee.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves