Batter Hit by Batted Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 29, 2012
We had a game the other night where the batter hit a pop up in front of the plate. The ball hit the ground and struck the batter in the leg as she was running to first. The umpire didn't say anything and the batter made it safely to first. I argued that the batter was out since the ball hit her while she was in fair territory. His explanation was that since it didn't interfere with any defender's ability to make a play then the ball was in play. I argued that that doesn't apply to a batter runner. The batter is automatically out and all runners have to return to the base they were at when the ball was pitched. I do know its a foul ball if it hit her in foul territory or while she was in the batters box. Is there any circumstance where the batter is not out when hit with a batted ball in fair territory?

Jun 7, 2013
I agree with the OP position. However, how is a ball in fair territory that hits a batter runner not interfering with the defenders ability to field the ball?

Feb 29, 2012
The ball would have gone foul had it not hit the batter. No defender was close enough to field the ball was the umps reasoning. No defender would have been able to make a play however, I don't think that comes into play in this situation. I think the batter is just out. Its different than with a baserunner where an umpire can use his judgement on whether the ball hitting the runner interfered with a fielders ability to make a play though i must say I have never seen that called unless the batter was behind the infielders.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
It's the same rule for a batter-runner and a runner.

If the fair batted ball hits a runner before it passes an infielder (except the pitcher), the runner is out. There is no judgement as to whether a play is available. That judgement only comes into play it the batted ball has passed an infielder before hitting the runner. This is the ASA rule.

In any case, it sounds as if your umpire got the call wrong. By your description, the batter-runner should have been out and any baserunners returned to the last base touched.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
we had the same thing happen last weekend and there was a runner on first the pu called the batter runner out but allowed the runner to advance to 2nd..his explanation was it is a delayed dead ball.

Jun 22, 2008
Ajay already covered it. As for the post just above, it is not a delayed dead ball, it is an immediate dead ball. Any runners return to the last base touched.

Jun 20, 2013
We had this happen today where the ball popped up and hit the runner while half way to first. Umpire said foul ball since it hit her while she was in foul territory. Other coach argued it didn't matter if it was fair or foul, she should be out. What say you?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
We had this happen today where the ball popped up and hit the runner while half way to first. Umpire said foul ball since it hit her while she was in foul territory. Other coach argued it didn't matter if it was fair or foul, she should be out. What say you?

Well, it DOES matter. Was the ball in the air? If so, it can only be INT if the BR’s presence prevented a defender from catching the ball in flight.
If on the ground, where was the ball? The runner's feet could be in foul, but if the ball hit the left side of the BR over fair territory, the BR would be out. But if that isn't case, it cannot be INT.