Batted Ball Distance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I wouldn't say knuckle dragger is exactly ripping him, I figured neither of you would even understand the reference since it refers to evolution and that is like all sciency and stuff.

here is the deal...what you are hung up on is IMPOSSIBLE....and even if it were possible would not account for the difference in your hitters distance. You can believe it or not, but it is a fact. It has been proven by sports science labs on two different continents. It is as real as the Earth circling the sun. The hands could be chopped off at the moment impact starts and the ball would go just as far. The swing is all about delivery of the bat to the ball and the moment the ball touches the bat....that nanosecond of first contact means the batters job is done. To say otherwise is just holding on to old school hitting superstition.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Lol, baseball players have some of the strongest hands of any sport, and its not just to turn the barrel. The only answer I have gotten from 'Team Science' here is one has better timing....Yep, your wrong again!!

Don't go near the edge if you don't want to risk falling off the edge of the earth. Good luck to you and let's hope that Girl #2's strong hands somehow become more efficient at transferring swing energy.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Some have referred that the only importance of the hands is to whip the barrel, or throw the barrel at the ball. If you ever have cracked a whip, the hand loosely throws the whip end forward, but what does the hand do to cause the whip to really crack? The hand does not stay loose.

The same in a swing. It's a thoughtless process, the hands will automatically tighten at the right time. They stay loose to generate speed, but at impact they firm up.

Some of you suffer from not playing, sorry.

The whip analogy is perfect if you use it right. To crack a whip you are correct the hands will not only go forward but also back...how long before do the hands go back to create that wave that then travels down the whip to crack it. Do you pull back right when you expect the crack or do you start the pull back and then feel a wave travel down the whip to a crack that happens later? I think you have to admit that the hands act on the whip well before the crack. SAME PRINCIPLE here....except a bat is more rigid so the times are much shorter and you are tricked into thinking it is instantaneous but in fact a wave is travelling from the point of impact to the hands and back and that wave takes longer than the time the ball is on the bat.

drop the mike....

May 23, 2015
Girl #2, who off of live pitching did not have the distance as Girl #1, actually was hitting it on average 20' further off of the tee.

You're on the right track now! Tees remove all variables. She needs to feel when she crushes the ball. Muscle memory will start to enjoy that feel. She'll naturally chase that feeling. I would tee her to death working inside, outside, deep, low and away. Tee's should be placed in front of the place if she's square in the box. A common problem is when people place the tee on top of the plate. Hard struck balls are hit "out in front".On live pitching I would ASK her to try and load before the pitch is released. She's a big girl and her junk takes time to get moving. A freight train doesn't rip out of the gate, but it's almost impossible to stop

Here was my quote from post #23. It probably got mired in silliness
It's also very likely that she's having a problem anticipating the strike and waiting a little late, letting the pitch eat her up, and she's hitting the ball deep on the plate.

The wiffle ball comment was funny. I love waxing kids in the batters box. I have aggression batting drill where I trash talk the girls and make them run an infield lap if I K them or if they swing at garbage. I have a fast knuckleball that drops off the map. After a couple of practices they look like Ichiro to keep from jogging

Nov 29, 2011
I'm ready to drop this thread. The testing and observations are correct. I got no solid answers as to why the slower bat hits it further. Timing is not the answer, to many swings have been taken. The bats both seem to be pretty live....maybe the next step is for me to swing both just to see if one bat is not ridiculous......but then, when hitting off the tee there distances seemed to coincide with there perspective bat speeds.....who knows...

JJ, i understand your personality better now, no hard feelings.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
This is a good discussion and a good topic. Do you Muscle through contact, or Limp wrist through contact?

I have seen the no hands homerun, it is with a wood bat, not a light composite.
RECOIL, is an issue and must be accounted for, in the difference between that clip and all the other facts.

I know that when ball speed increases, so does recoil, it will knock your bat backwards at seventy.

But firm, not muscle, is my belief

as far as top speed, I am still curious on top speed and how long it is maintained, at it one spot in the arch is not correct, because the swing is not a circle but can be more oval as the hands extend.
Impact will slow the bat I would like to see any chart you can find also Five, not just one, because we cannot base everything on just one chart.

from a golf site.. "Club Speed measure in miles per hour (MPH) or kilometers per hour (KPH) and is how fast your club head is traveling at the point it impacts the golf ball. Max Speed = The maximum club head speed reached on your downswing. Impact Speed = The speed of the club at impact. The club actually slows down when you hit the ball. To view the focus screen for this metric, enter the Dashboard view by tapping the Bar Graph icon near the top of the app, and then tap on the Club Speed metric."

Hand speed? how fast the hands move with body, and extension before contact? I see in golf hand speed can increase bat speed by 3 MPH.

from Zepp,
Quick Tip 1

Bat Speed At Impact is greatly influenced by contact location. Hitters maximize their bat speed right around the front of their stride foot and at a height of about 40% of their height (roughly where their hand is when their arm at their side). This location gives you the best chance to time your bat speed so that your Max bat speed occurs at impact. the goal

Quick Tip 2

It is much easier to repeat a consistent bat speed off of the tee, so try challenging yourself with live pitching to optimize your bat speed. The best pro hitters have similar bat speed at impact scores vs. live pitching as they do off the tee. The tables below will give you a better understanding of the locations that optimize your bat speed at impact.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
This is a good discussion and a good topic. Do you Muscle through contact, or Limp wrist through contact?

I have seen the no hands homerun, it is with a wood bat, not a light composite.
RECOIL, is an issue and must be accounted for, in the difference between that clip and all the other facts.

I know that when ball speed increases, so does recoil, it will knock your bat backwards at seventy.

But firm, not muscle, is my belief

as far as top speed, I am still curious on top speed and how long it is maintained, at it one spot in the arch is not correct, because the swing is not a circle but can be more oval as the hands extend.
Impact will slow the bat I would like to see any chart you can find also Five, not just one, because we cannot base everything on just one chart.

from a golf site.. "Club Speed measure in miles per hour (MPH) or kilometers per hour (KPH) and is how fast your club head is traveling at the point it impacts the golf ball. Max Speed = The maximum club head speed reached on your downswing. Impact Speed = The speed of the club at impact. The club actually slows down when you hit the ball. To view the focus screen for this metric, enter the Dashboard view by tapping the Bar Graph icon near the top of the app, and then tap on the Club Speed metric."

Hand speed? how fast the hands move with body, and extension before contact? I see in golf hand speed can increase bat speed by 3 MPH.

Max speed is not something that can be maintained in a swing for anything more than an instant. The way a swing is powered, it is basically a compound pendulum, bat head speed is all the forces leading up to the handle creating momentum and then that momentum being "sucked" away by the bat as it whips around (this is also why max hand speed and max barrel speed are not at the same point in time max hand speed leadsbax barrel speed in time). Once the barrel is released it will accelerate to a maximum and then start decelerating. You can vary the linear circular relationship of the bat arc and make it more oval/more circular and make the velocity curve flatter/sharper but it will still have a single maximum. Unless you get rid of whip altogether in which case you can have a very slow maximum speed that is maintained over a longer period of time but will never get you out of the infield.

Compound-Pendulum-1020.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Max speed is not something that can be maintained in a swing for anything more than an instant. The way a swing is powered, it is basically a compound pendulum, bat head speed is all the forces leading up to the handle creating momentum and then that momentum being "sucked" away by the bat as it whips around (this is also why max hand speed and max barrel speed are not at the same point in time max hand speed leadsbax barrel speed in time). Once the barrel is released it will accelerate to a maximum and then start decelerating. You can vary the linear circular relationship of the bat arc and make it more oval/more circular and make the velocity curve flatter/sharper but it will still have a single maximum. Unless you get rid of whip altogether in which case you can have a very slow maximum speed that is maintained over a longer period of time but will never get you out of the infield.

Compound-Pendulum-1020.gif

I agree completey JJ, I am still looking for a chart that has no impact, to see what an "instant" is. my guess is that it will not have the peak that contact creates. Agree?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red