Bat waggle?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Haven't seen the video. But would bet money that the coach also stresses the importance of:
  • checking your grip to line up your knuckles;
  • that the "load" is a static position that usually results in the girls shifting their weight back towards the catcher and "freezing" there (see RichK's post above);
  • palm up / palm down at contact (which I've even heard Antonelli talk about, but it's always been a non-teach for me, even with beginners?); and
  • ending with the final "positions" of extension, then follow through.
Not all of the above is necessarily bad - it's just my generalization of those instructors I've come across who believe in the "softball vs. baseball" swing.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Back in the day when Howard Carrier and a few others posted here, Howard talked about working with Jessica Mendoza once when she had a slow spell hitting. The change he suggested and that she used was called a "bump." She "waggled the bat" bouncing or bumping it off of her shoulder to help her establish a rhythm. While I don't think she used it for very long, at that time, I think it worked pretty well for her.

Nov 15, 2019
Haven't seen the video. But would bet money that the coach also stresses the importance of:
  • checking your grip to line up your knuckles;
  • that the "load" is a static position that usually results in the girls shifting their weight back towards the catcher and "freezing" there (see RichK's post above);
  • palm up / palm down at contact (which I've even heard Antonelli talk about, but it's always been a non-teach for me, even with beginners?); and
  • ending with the final "positions" of extension, then follow through.
Not all of the above is necessarily bad - it's just my generalization of those instructors I've come across who believe in the "softball vs. baseball" swing.

Yes, I'm sure this is what he teaches.

He gives group lessons at a facility my DD used to go to, and while he wasn't her coach then, they all teach the same style.
10 months ago we switched from that facility to someone who teaches a different style. Her current instructor played baseball for a P5 school, played pro, and every year has girls commit to P5 and other D1 schools. She's learning TTB, separation, and tilt and the HS hitting coach is not familiar with this and not in agreement with it. DD loves what she's learning and how her swing is developing.

He's a really nice guy, we just have different hitting styles and I'm concerned about the conflicting info she gets. He loves the girls and the game. He'll go to his students travel games, he regularly checks in on them just to see how they're doing. It's very obvious he loves the kids and the game, which is awesome.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I'm not sure how waggling the bat before the swing (or not) has anything to do with "baseball vs softball". What you do before the pitch doesn't much matter, but at the pitch, your hands better quiet down or the barrel will be in a different start position with every swing. I'm sure someone can find an exception, but I've watched a lot of Div 1 softball in person recently...there's not a lot of excess movement prior to their swings.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not sure how waggling the bat before the swing (or not) has anything to do with "baseball vs softball".

but I've watched a lot of Div 1 softball in person recently...there's not a lot of excess movement prior to their swings.
Well you see it all the time in baseball so obviously it is a softball vs baseball thing as your statement shows. HS coach is taking his queues from the same source as you..IMO girls tend to get overcoached more than boys and/or are better at actually listening 😂 Hitting in a game is as much about rhythm and being relaxed as it is about mechanics..

Might be deja vu but I want to say you and I have “discussed” this topic before...

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
Saw the video. Can’t see anything distracting about it. Great looking swing IMO.

My only criticism is that her back foot looks like it’s in a massive hole in that batters box. But that’s a field maintenance issue, not a swing issue. :)

Also - you referred to the coach as the HS hitting coach - so different from the HS HC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 15, 2019
Saw the video. Can’t see anything distracting about it. Great looking swing IMO.

My only criticism is that her back foot looks like it’s in a massive hole in that batters box. But that’s a field maintenance issue, not a swing issue. :)

Also - you referred to the coach as the HS hitting coach - so different from the HS HC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, she works hard on her swing.

Yes, the HS has both a hitting coach and a HC. Different people.

Apr 20, 2019
I see absolutely nothing wrong with her "waggle" . Almost every hitter has a mechanism that help them time out their hitting. I think it's a matter of coach having to out their "two cents in" . Unless its affecting her, stick with it

Aug 20, 2018
I've worked with hitters where the waggle is an issue because it's disruptive to her timing, but its more of a tweak than removing it. I find a bat waggle to be a very important part of the swing to keep her loose so I always teach it and encourage girls to find what works for them and run with it.

That video of your daughter swinging is text book. Why would you change ANYTHING in that swing? The HS coach clearly doesn't understand the game.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
What a hitter does prior to load is of no concern as long as they get to load in time to react to the pitch. That is the key.

An example of an odd stance is Craig Counsell. But he got to load at the right time to swing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA