Bat waggle?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Pros: gets the player into a rhythm, can pre-load the hands and bat, allows bat and hands to transition smoothly into the launch point after the negative load/gather phase and often relaxes the player.
Cons: none
However, I've seen some players move their hands in a circle setting their rhythm and I'm not a fan of that considering it can alter the launch point/plane of the swing; especially with a faster pitcher. JMO

Maybe that's what your coach is worried about.

Nov 15, 2019
The way she just "rocks" right in rhythm from the "waggle" to being loaded and ready to swing is just perfect in that video. There might be elements of her swing to work on, but this isn't one of them.

Has she asked the coach what his problem with it is? Does he believe it's actually affecting her performance somehow?

He said he has always taught quiet hands and that pre swing movement is distracting.

In general though, there's a big difference in hitting styles between her private hitting coach and the high school hitting coach.

Nov 15, 2019
There is some kind of paradox where many coaches spend lots of time with the best players trying to help them, When there are numerous other players who could really use some coaching.

(Edit: I assumed she is probly one of the best hitters on that team if the team has a coach trying to coach out a "waggle". Is she one of the top hitters?)

She's a freshman and they haven't played any games yet, so I haven't seen the rest of the team hit. However she has girls on her team that have never played softball, and some that have only played rec and high school, so with her 3 years of travel I'm assuming she'll be doing pretty well. She had a very successful fall travel season.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019
Pros: gets the player into a rhythm, can pre-load the hands and bat, allows bat and hands to transition smoothly into the launch point after the negative load/gather phase and often relaxes the player.
Cons: none
However, I've seen some players move their hands in a circle setting their rhythm and I'm not a fan of that considering it can alter the launch point/plane of the swing; especially with a faster pitcher. JMO

Maybe that's what your coach is worried about.

Thanks, that's interesting.

Sep 17, 2009
Here's an example of her bat waggle

Looks like a hitter. Hits like a hitter. Stops and pauses are killers in the swing but are what so many hitting 'instructors' teach via positions rather than movements. She's fine except for the battle she's hopefully NOT going to have to have with her high school coach. Good luck to her.

Nov 15, 2019
Thanks everyone, appreciate all the input! Good to hear that the pre-swing rhythm is ok for her. She really does not want to get rid of it.

Apr 9, 2020
hitting coach my daughter utilizes was all American says nobody hits the same but at end of day the mechanics should be similar, she says doesn't matter what a hitter does in the box as long as she gets her hands to correct position ON TIME for the pitch, she can do an Irish step dance before and when she gets to her load her hands are at the correct position to fire.. some people are quiet in the box some have timing and twitches they utilize . not sure credentials of high school coach , more of them here are just teachers looking for some extra money and would take anything they say with grain of salt.. let her do what she feels comfortable with and as long as she is successful

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12