Bat Throwing Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
Use a whiffle bat and have them release at extension into a net.

We've done this drill (swinging and throwing) with the removable top portion of standard rubber batting tees--works well. I definitely would not want to see it with her expensive bats. =:-O

Last edited:
May 4, 2012
95re5y.jpg

a little bit of this^^^^

and a little bit of that VVVVV (from TJdeTejas)

The "Launch Movement" thread is focusing on the time frame discussed in this thread.

Perform the movement in this thread in front of a wall or net, about 2 feet away.
Hold a bat with the lead forearm square to the wall in front of you and the bat pointing straight up in the air.
Use you legs, hips, and core to turn the pelvis/belly button toward the pitcher AND at the same time pronate the lead forearm moving the barrel tip from straight up to flat pointing behind you while keeping the forearm square to the wall. Both shoulder should remain square to the wall. Resistance should be felt from the legs up to the mid back(below the shoulder blades). You should be able to move your arms freely. Some force the scap to clamp here. Instead, focus on the shoulder, arms, hands resisting rotation of the torso. Then the spine will be turned into the scap.
Be sure the torso stays over the COM and doesn't fall backwards.
So what is happening during this phase of the swing?????
I say, the body is clearing the way while the eyes and hands are deciding where....
Get the body out of the way and the hands can deliver the barrel....

Mar 24, 2014
Check out the Hitting Disk offered by Softball Excellence. I bought a 6-pack of these and work great to help with extension. We only have a small area to work on drills in our basement and try to find training aids to change things up a bit. Work on different drills than what they work on in practice.

With so many different drills and training aids available, think it's best to find which work best for your DD's development. What works for us won't work for everybody.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Check out the Hitting Disk offered by Softball Excellence. I bought a 6-pack of these and work great to help with extension. We only have a small area to work on drills in our basement and try to find training aids to change things up a bit. Work on different drills than what they work on in practice.

With so many different drills and training aids available, think it's best to find which work best for your DD's development. What works for us won't work for everybody.
This drill:

V7j6uD.gif

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2014
This drill:

V7j6uD.gif

Yes, this is the drill we do in our basement. I forgot it was called the pizza drill! Anyway, it seemed to work good for my DD. Keeps their interest doing some different drills than at practice, able to do the drill inside your house and provides instant feedback.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This drill:
V7j6uD.gif

I like the hitch like action here .... many don't, but I'm fine with it.

2ynngh5.gif

I do a drill that resembles this, except with a bat. What I'm working on is the 'along' portion of the swing. Starts from the Power-Vee position and then the barrel is basically 'flung' forward.

98dnp4.gif

It is from the power-vee like orientation that the barrel is flung. I personally much prefer using a barrel over these disks.

These boys here .... they 'flung' from the beginning of their toss. They bypassed the 'around' portion, as many do with this drill. They didn't first get to a power-vee orientation before transitioning to a 'fling'. And when your model is 100% 'fling' then you 'drag'. And that's the issue you want to avoid with such products.

v76u78.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi