bat suggestion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2014
I'd pretty seriously doubt the bat is too big for her. She's just used to swinging a bat that was way too small for her and the big 3" jump is what she is struggling with. Time and lots of swings will fix it.

At 95 lbs, I'd have a nice little 31/20 or 31/21 waiting in the wings already. The extra length really helps them cover the plate and makes hitting the low & outside pitch not as impossible as it seemed with the short bat. I'd introduce it not long after she gets comfortable with the 30" bat she is swinging now. Going back & forth with only 1" difference is easy and you quickly see when she has "graduated" to the longer bat.
Thanks for the advice. Do you think jumping from 18oz to 20 or 21 is too much?

Thanks for the advice. Do you think jumping from 18oz to 20 or 21 is too much?
I think it'll take her longer to get used to the 30/18 from the 27" bat than it will to go from a 30/18 to a 31/20. The good news is she is just 8 years old and doesn't really need to worry too much about it.

I'd just be looking to get a CF6 31/20 on clearance (they are starting to show up there now) and hanging on to it. When she gets real comfortable with the 30/18, let her mix in a few practice reps here and there with the new DeMarini. If nothing else, it will speed her up with the smaller bat and there will come a day when it is quite apparent to both of you that she is ready to step up.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
At the rate my 9yo is growing, I'm reluctant to spend $200+ on a bat for her that will be lucky to last a full year. On a whim, I got my DD a Combat Lisa Fernandez 30/18 (alloy barrel, composite handle - $35 NIW on ebay). With the RIF-1 safety balls common for 10U in our area, the alloy barrel seems to have better pop than most of the full-composite bats I see.

Last edited:
At the rate my 9yo is growing, I'm reluctant to spend $200+ on a bat for her that will be lucky to last a full year. On a whim, I got my DD a Combat Lisa Fernandez 30/18 (alloy barrel, composite handle - $35 NIW on ebay). With the RIF-1 safety balls common for 10U in our area, the allow barrel seems to have better pop than most of the full-composite bats I see.
Yep ... if you're hitting softees, get an alloy bat.

If you're hitting leather, composite is great, plus, you can always sell used high-end composite bats for decent money and recoup at least some of your original outlay.

For younger girls hitting leather, I always say find a closeout deal on a good composite (like $219 on a CF6) and you should be able to get $100 - 150 back pretty easy in 6-12 months if she doesn't beat it up too much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves