bat speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
They weren't using a zep, it was some type of radar. ex division one coach/player was doing the testing. Not sure that matters but just figured they weren't using some cheap pocket radar.

The important thing is to compare apples to apples and it sounds like in that group your daughter was outstanding.
When I talked to NFCA at Pennsbury last year, they said their measurements of ball exit speed were very accurate and they were using new equipment and this would be their standard after talking to coaches around the country about what they wanted to see. Ball exit speed is higher than swing speed of course and I looked at their results and very few hit over 70 out of thousands of high school girls across the country during their testing.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Zepp Labs had a booth or something at PGF 12U Nationals and was tweeting speeds that sounded exceedingly high. 85 mph from an 11 yo and 88 from a 13 yo.

Outliers (the results and not the hitters). Did they really calibrate the Zepp for every hitter? I would doubt it.

This is why we have sample size in statistics.

Jan 25, 2011
MLB Bound!
Come on that's it. I was hoping for more then that. I do have to say that measuring bat speeds & exit speeds are alright, but I have seen some really ugly swings with high exit speeds. The exit speed doesn't matter much if you can't hit a ball with consistent. Google Sports Skill Measurement & improvement. Place my dd use to train at started this with exit speeds my dd when she was 11yo hit an exit speed of 61.2.

Oct 10, 2011
Come on that's it. I was hoping for more then that. I do have to say that measuring bat speeds & exit speeds are alright, but I have seen some really ugly swings with high exit speeds. The exit speed doesn't matter much if you can't hit a ball with consistent. Google Sports Skill Measurement & improvement. Place my dd use to train at started this with exit speeds my dd when she was 11yo hit an exit speed of 61.2.

She could always tryout for DFP's team but that's pushing it:)

Oct 10, 2011
Are speeds usually checked hitting off the tee, front toss, or live pitching?

Ball exit speeds at NFCA are off a tee, close to a net with a radar behind it. One school did it with front toss but the speed of the incoming ball will affect the exit speed so you are adding another variable.

Nov 18, 2013
Outliers (the results and not the hitters). Did they really calibrate the Zepp for every hitter? I would doubt it.

This is why we have sample size in statistics.

The speeds were reported by Zepp to promote their product. Whether outliers or from a miscalibrated device the numbers seem unrealistic.

Last edited by a moderator: