bat speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
High school and college hitters who have solid rotational mechanics can achieve bat speeds in the low to mid 70s. It is rare for hitters to have bat speeds in the 80s. I have found that bat speeds for most high school and college hitters range between the mid 50s to the upper 60s, before they adopt power hitting mechanics. In addition to the Zepp sensor, I use the Swing Speed Radar. These bat speeds are based on data from hitters using 32-34 oz. with drop 9 or 10.

What do you consider "power hitting mechanics"?

What barrel speeds do measure once a hitter has adopted "power hitting mechanics"?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
bgxu1g.jpg

Now we have zepp grandpa!

Found this interesting. Looks like this kid is destined for Cooperstown.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2015/2/11/8010803/zepp-swing-sensor-perfect-game-100-mph-swing

Last edited by a moderator:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
next will come the explanation... "She has been diagnosed with a rare genetic mutation that causes her to have significantly higher fast twitch muscle fiber compared to most athletes", or "she only recorded this number a few times, normally she cruises at 90, but on this day we had been working a lot on post impact forearm sublimated axis pronation of the distal funny bone and found she has an extra joint in her forearms that contributes a higher ratio of kinetic matterdaddy to the barrel"

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Bat speed alone will not help her against the 10U kids with 7 pitches throwing high 60's.

Petricca413’s comments earlier in this thread were about “high school and college hitters”. That is what I was responding to.

Bat speed alone is a poor focus IMO.

Bat speed should be the result of using appropriate mechanics.

Bat speed is not my primary emphasis, nor my secondary emphasis or even my third major point of emphasis.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Petricca413’s comments earlier in this thread were about “high school and college hitters”. That is what I was responding to.

Bat speed alone is a poor focus IMO.

Bat speed should be the result of using appropriate mechanics.

Bat speed is not my primary emphasis, nor my secondary emphasis or even my third major point of emphasis.

A swing and a miss as it went right past you. :)

CWS

Jan 29, 2015
Low batteries in the zepp maybe? Fully charged zepp and DD is about 48 on bat speed. When the batteries are low it gets into the high 50s/low 60s and the angles are all over the map.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi