Bat size question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2014
My daughter is 5' 1"@ 105 lbs and swings a CF5 32/21 bat. I want to get her another bat and am wandering what to get her. She has a fast swing with the 21oz bat so when should you ever move up in weight? Should I stay with the same or go to a 32/22 or a 33/22? What is the plus of swinging a heavier bat as long as you can swing it fast enough thru the zone?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My daughter is 5' 1"@ 105 lbs and swings a CF5 32/21 bat. I want to get her another bat and am wandering what to get her. She has a fast swing with the 21oz bat so when should you ever move up in weight? Should I stay with the same or go to a 32/22 or a 33/22? What is the plus of swinging a heavier bat as long as you can swing it fast enough thru the zone?

Get her a balanced (-10) 32/22 or a 33/23 if you think she can get around on the fastest pitching she will face. I know some people on DFP are not fans of them, but when my DD is "almost" ready to move up a bat size, I buy the larger size and put a choke-up ring on the bat. After 2-3 months I take it off and she is ready to rock!

$(KGrHqRHJEcE-kMEUcD7BPz63mS2Jg~~60_12.JPG

A 32/22 should be no problem for her at all. If there is a place where she can hit with a few different models, that is the best way to decide. A local travel team might also be a good resource for demos if there isn't a store nearby that will let her hit with them.

May 31, 2012
A lot of bats weigh different than what the sticker says. Demarinis run about .5 oz under. Eastons can be as much as 1.5 oz over.

A lot of bats weigh different than what the sticker says. Demarinis run about .5 oz under. Eastons can be as much as 1.5 oz over.
That tends to be very true with the CF5, as the four or five of those I've weighed have all been about 0.5 oz below sticker weight. However, I've weighed an even half-dozen CF6s, and all of them have been between 0.2 oz under through dead nuts on sticker weight.

I've seen Eastons as high as 1.8oz over sticker! The 2014 models seem to run about 0.8 oz - 1.0 oz over almost universally, though.

The 2014 Xeno seems to run 0.5 - 0.6 oz over sticker, while the LXT goes around 0.4 - 0.1 oz under sticker.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
At her height and weight I'm picturing a small speedy slapper body type. My dd is 15 yrs old, 5'8" tall, and 145lbs...she swings a 33/24. Your dd probably shouldn't be using anything longer than a 31-32" long and at her weight she probably should stay balanced at a -10 model. As said above, if she's able to demo a few different models that is ideal. At most sporting good stores the reps will allow you to take a few bats outside with them so that you can at least dry swing the bat to get a true feel for it. Find the make you like, then go home and buy it online for 1/2 price! :)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2014
Thanks for the replies. Just so you know my DD is 14 and will be 15 in June and won't get any bigger but she is very strong for her size. She swings hard and fast and can get the ball out there. She doesn't want to bunt or slap unless the situation calls for it by the coach, she wants to swing away. I just want to get her a second bat and it sounds like a 32/22 may be better than a 33/22. She is also our catcher for TB and will be catching for her HS varsity team. She is a tough little player.

Thanks for the replies. Just so you know my DD is 14 and will be 15 in June and won't get any bigger but she is very strong for her size. She swings hard and fast and can get the ball out there. She doesn't want to bunt or slap unless the situation calls for it by the coach, she wants to swing away. I just want to get her a second bat and it sounds like a 32/22 may be better than a 33/22. She is also our catcher for TB and will be catching for her HS varsity team. She is a tough little player.
I'd love to see her play!

At her size I just can't really see a need to go beyond a 32/22. She'll get plenty of barrel length and at her height, 32" is more than enough for her to reach anything she'd want to hit.

If she likes her CF5, the newer CF6 is getting raves from DeMarini fans and will feel comfortable to her right out of the wrapper. With my girls (we have six who use the CF6 as a game bat), we are seeing a bigger sweet spot on the CF6 and a little less vibration vs. the CF5.

A few of my girls have gone from the CF5 to the Louisville Slugger LXT, as well. It swings light (like a DeMarini) and is very well-balanced. It has perhaps the smoothest ride ever with absolutely no vibration, even on pool cue shots. Lots of pop out of the wrapper but also seems to be opening up nicely the more they hit with it. It seems to have a stiffer handle than the CF6 which makes it well-suited to stronger girls. However, even our smallest, weakest (in terms of physical strength) hitters can generate some serious pop off the flexible barrel. It has a very big sweet spot and it sounds like someone teed-up and smacked a wine glass when you hit one on the screws with it! In fact, the more I see of this bat, the more I like it. It is rapidly becoming my favorite.

The 2014 TPS Xeno is another bat to consider. It will be a bit heavier than those mentioned above (by about 0.5 - 0.7 oz) but still light enough that it shouldn't effect her bat speed all that much. It has great pop and a big sweet spot and a cool sound. Girls dig the color, too.

Eastons are another beast entirely and will be noticeably heavier than her current -11 CF5. I'd count on at least two full ounces heavier and more like 2.5 oz is probably more realistic. I really like the Mako and think it is a fine choice if she likes the extra weight.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball