Bat Size and Type Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2021
Hi everyone. My daughter is turning 10 at the end of October. She plays 10u travel ball. Looking to upgrade the bat. She is 15 in. across shoulder to shoulder. Her height is 4 ft. 9 in., about 100 lbs. Figuring a 30 in. bat. Not sure about bat weight. Seems like most folks here recommend a good used bat. Any particular favorites for her age as well as recommended used bat sites. Thanks for your help.

Sep 19, 2018
I wouldn’t move more than 1 oz at a time. The goal in my opinion should be to get them to a -10 bat.
This. At the end of 1 season, I bought my dd a new bat for next year. 9 months later 2 inches and 2 ounces was still too big a jump.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Easton Freeze 30/17. Seems a little light.
Id go with a 30/19 then. But youll also need to keep in mind that some manufacturers bats run true to label where others are heavier than labeled.

Demarini and Mizuno- Typically spot on
Louisville and Marucci- Typically 1oz over
Easton- Typically 1.25 to 1.5oz over
Louisville Xeno’s- Typically 1.5 to 1.75oz over

Mar 15, 2019
California
I'd recommend a Mizuno Power Carbon or Louisville LXT in a 30/19. If she has quick bat speed, 30/20 in the two mentioned or even a Rawlings Quatro (not the Quatro Pro) or Mizuno Carbon 1. A Xeno or Ghost may be too much for her (my DD was the same size as yours 18 months ago). Should be a good selection available at https://www.playitagainsports.com/home.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020
The old rule of thumb for size (stopped coached over 5 years ago) was the measure from finger tips to center of chest. Then weight is what the individual DD could handle with the intent of moving them to a drop 10. Don‘t move up inches or oz too fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes