Bat Sharing????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Last week in a game I noticed our opposing team was bat sharing. Every player used the same Xeno. A player would hit, the next would come out and pick up the bat and use it. All 10 of them. The bat sounded as if it were hollow when they would get a hit. Weird sound, hard to explain but seemed an odd practice to me.

Jul 2, 2013
The Xeno has a distinct cracking sound, different than most bats. It is unique. Some like it, some don't.

You seem to hint it may have been doctored. It is possible, but with a whole team full of players using it, this will not stay a secret for long.

Some parents will do just about anything to advance their very young DD. And very few look for it in 10 years olds.

Also at 10 years old, it is more common for players to share bats. Maybe not a whole team, but happens frequently between 3 or 4 players that age. When older, sharing bats is taboo.

When older, parents settle down a bunch, and realize the easiest way to win consistently is to be a better team/player. Umpires are better too, and know what to look for. I do not suspect cheating now ... and possibly suspected it more in the young days.

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
it was 12U and I love the Xeno. But this was a VERY different sound. Almost hollow and...I do not spend $300 for the entire team to use my bat. Something just seems odd. Wondered if many of you see this habit out there and if my suspicions are just mine alone.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
it was 12U and I love the Xeno. But this was a VERY different sound. Almost hollow and...I do not spend $300 for the entire team to use my bat. Something just seems odd. Wondered if many of you see this habit out there and if my suspicions are just mine alone.

Almost sounds like someone doctored it and removed the internal governor.

Jul 26, 2010
A Xeno should sound a bit like a ping driver being hit. If it sounds hollow like a normal bat then it's had it's rod removed like GM said.

-W

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
On my DD's Xeno when she hits the sweet spot it has more of a hollow sound (almost sounds like a DeMarini). If she hits it anywhere other than the true sweet spot it makes different ping sounds. The closer to the true sweet spot the less ping sound is heard. She uses the different sounds coming off the bat during practices to let her know where on the bat the ball made contact.

Jun 24, 2013
DD retired her Xeno this year, it was fun because I could tell if she was batting in practice because of the sound it makes and I would look over and see how she was doing. She was the only one on her Team with a Xeno so I knew when she was batting.

(One of the benefits of having a small DD is everyone leaves her stuff alone now, her bat is too small for the other players. :))

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
When older, parents settle down a bunch, and realize the easiest way to win consistently is to be a better team/player. Umpires are better too, and know what to look for. I do not suspect cheating now ... and possibly suspected it more in the young days.

Very incorrect sir...more on the line as kids get older and more reasons why parents (kids) might take this avenue.

Also, 99% of umps have no clue about bats or what to look for.

I'm not saying this bat was worked, because as some have said, at this early age its probably more about saving money. This young, kids grow out of bats every year, can get very pricey. Some parents buy cheaper at this age because of that. Maybe this team figured, instead of buying cheaper, buy the best stuff out there, but only buy one bat. That way the kids swing the best bats, and the parents don't have to fork over huge dollars for each of their kids.

Jul 2, 2013
Very incorrect sir...more on the line as kids get older and more reasons why parents (kids) might take this avenue.

Also, 99% of umps have no clue about bats or what to look for.

I'm not saying this bat was worked, because as some have said, at this early age its probably more about saving money. This young, kids grow out of bats every year, can get very pricey. Some parents buy cheaper at this age because of that. Maybe this team figured, instead of buying cheaper, buy the best stuff out there, but only buy one bat. That way the kids swing the best bats, and the parents don't have to fork over huge dollars for each of their kids.

I can only really speak for the high school side of it.

The HS coaches have a reputation of the school, and themselves on the line. I have had a high school coach take home and inspect my DD's bat to make sure I was not doing anything to it.

Sure, a player may have a "hot" bat that looks legal, and probably is. The coaches will continue to let her play with it.

But in high school, I have never seen a whole team using a hot bat that sounds wrong. That is just plain stupid.

When you are considered a top shelf area HS team, the others are watching you very closely. Many are very knowledgeable. You will get caught if you are this dumb at the higher levels.

12U travel, not so much. And possibly in lower level HS play to try to get an edge. I repeat, at the highest level HS game, too many eyes out there. Beat the opposition fair and square tends to be the only/best way.

The fans/umpires are too smart by then. I have seen just above everything, and know what to look for. I am not in the minority either.

The top teams get the best umpires. Our games many times get called by college umpires. By playoff time we have four (4) of the best out there. Cheating is stupid.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
It is hard to get caught which is why the rules are so strict if you do get caught, your softball career is pretty much over.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish