Bat for Summer season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2017
Southeast US
Forgive me, I know there are a lot of similar posts, but I know many of you here really try these bats out thoroughly. Hence I would like to hear opinions.

My DD is 16, wrapping up a very good HS season at the plate (over .500 regular season). She bats in the 3-5 slots, and is not a power hitter in the sense of multiple HRs, but does hit a lot of doubles and some triples.

This year she’s using a 33/22 2019 Slugger Xeno (just her preference since Sluggers weigh more than sticker), and it’s got pop for sure, but not quite what her teammate’s ASA Ghost has. We pretty much buy a new bat each season, as she’s playing from Feb.-Nov.

I’d like some suggestions, as again she’s happy with the Xeno, but knows there are better and “longer” bats out there (distance) right now.

She’s 5’3”, 130, but strong in the legs and upper body, as a pitcher usually is. She has a very nice swing.

I’m curious about the 2020 Ghost, but we’re also interested in the Prism. I’ve seen good and bad on the Prism, but it seems like it takes a while to open up. I’d like her to try the Mizuno PC as well, but she’s the type that doesn’t trust anything outside of Easton, Wilson or DeMarini. She just won’t go for a second-tier brand in bats (although she loves Mizuno cleats).

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try out would be appreciated. I’m sorry if this is a rehash of other threads, we’ve been busy and I haven’t been keeping up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2018
Wow you sound like me except my daughter was a Demarini girl over LS. She has always hit and usually ends up in the 3,4,5 hole despite not hitting for power over the fence. She moved to the ASA ghost last year kind of begrudgingly but once she saw how quick the ball came off the bat she was sold. I can tell you I had a drop 11,10,9 and had her and a couple others blindfold hold all 3 to say which one felt lightest to heaviest and all 4 had the -11,-9,-10 from lightest to heaviest. She swings 32/22. I tried moving her to the 33/24 and first at bat with it she put it off centerfield wall. Next at bat she swung and missed a ball, her first swing and miss in 18 games, bat went back in the bag and went back to 32/22. Fast forward to this year, I got the new Prism in a 33/23 as a replacement on an older bat. I was hoping at the same weight but with that extra inch it would help her at the plate as better pitchers seem to hammer the outside corner. After a few sessions the bat still is not as hot as the blue ghost so she is sticking with the blue ghost. After a hitting session with her sunday evening she said she still loves the blue ghost. Now my dilemma is do I have her try the new 5 stamp ghost when it comes out (shes not a fan of the design at all) or do I look to gobble up a couple of blues as they will get discounted to move in the coming weeks?

Based on your daughter liking the LS xeno, I would have her try the ghost. It will be the closest thing weight wise she can swing and it clearly outperforms the xeno in my opinion.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
You are probably in luck as the bats you listed probably all run a little heavy. I know the Xeno you have does...so
does the Ghost and although most CF's are close to sticker, have heard the Prism runs a little heavier.

The only diff may be the Prism may be a little more flex than the Xeno and Ghost. But weight wise, the Xeno and
Ghost are both prob .8-1.0 over. Again, have heard the Prism is heavier then CF's, but no idea on exact weight.

Sep 10, 2017
Southeast US
You are probably in luck as the bats you listed probably all run a little heavy. I know the Xeno you have does...so
does the Ghost and although most CF's are close to sticker, have heard the Prism runs a little heavier.

The only diff may be the Prism may be a little more flex than the Xeno and Ghost. But weight wise, the Xeno and
Ghost are both prob .8-1.0 over. Again, have heard the Prism is heavier then CF's, but no idea on exact weight.

Thanks guys. She’s hit the blue Ghost some, as her teammates have it. She does like it, but durability is a concern. I will definitely look at the new “all stamp” Ghost. She actually used to be a DeMarini girl, but her last couple were not super impressive. Although she did get a HR on a CF9 -11.

Please feel free to add anything if your daughters try any of the 2020’s. Appreciate the input!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Pigskin did the best thing you can do, try to find a place that has some bats to feel them weight wise because
bats are just all over the place with weights. You don't have to buy wherever, but you can def feel them.
But he got lucky, he had a place that doesn have them. Many places don't carry everything.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks guys. She’s hit the blue Ghost some, as her teammates have it. She does like it, but durability is a concern. I will definitely look at the new “all stamp” Ghost. She actually used to be a DeMarini girl, but her last couple were not super impressive. Although she did get a HR on a CF9 -11.

Please feel free to add anything if your daughters try any of the 2020’s. Appreciate the input!

Durability issues with the Ghost are largely inflated internet rumors. All bats break. The tremendous volume of Ghosts on the market is probably the biggest contributor to the number of broken Ghosts.

Someone I know had a Prism break within 2 weeks of getting it. My 14yo DD has been beating the hell out of her ASA Ghost for over a year, and it's still in one piece. Should I extrapolate from this that the Prism has durability issues and the Ghost is bomb-proof?

For my DD specifically, she was a Demarini girl up through the CF8, then she switched to the Ghost and has been in love with it ever since. I tried to tempt her with a Mizuno PC, but she doesn't like the purple. She will be getting a 2020 Ghost as soon as they are available.

Sep 10, 2017
Southeast US
Pigskin did the best thing you can do, try to find a place that has some bats to feel them weight wise because
bats are just all over the place with weights. You don't have to buy wherever, but you can def feel them.
But he got lucky, he had a place that doesn have them. Many places don't carry everything.

That’s our big problem; even though we live in a big softball area, there are no places to try out bats.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
That’s our big problem; even though we live in a big softball area, there are no places to try out bats.

You aren't the only one sir, its the issue for tons of people and I do feel bad for folks. That's the main reason
why I started weighing all my bats when they come in so that folks could get an idea because many
cant go feel them. Its not great, but it was the only thing I could think of to help out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles