Baserunning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I believe that very little time is devoted to proper baserunning by most coaches. I'd like to see what ideas are out there and what other coaches are doing to promote what is, other than pitching and defense, the most important aspect of the game (IMHO).

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I believe that very little time is devoted to proper baserunning by most coaches. I'd like to see what ideas are out there and what other coaches are doing to promote what is, other than pitching and defense, the most important aspect of the game (IMHO).

Well I think you will find most will view hitting more important than base running. After all if you can't hit, you can't really run the bases.

But good topic. I'd like to hear how other coaches do it because other than working it into other drills I never seem to find the time to hit on just base running by itself as a separate skill.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I like to teach defense from the baserunning point of view. By that I mean teaching the girls to be aggressive on the bases, getting good leads, taking the extra base when a play is made elsewhere on the field, taking every opportunity to get to the next base. Once the girls get that, they begin to understand what to expect and how to defend it.

From a practical point of view, divide the team in 3 (4 per team), play infield/outfield with baserunners. Hit to specific position or places on the field, "test" the runners to do the right thing, and drill into the runners when to take the extra base and when to play it safe. Switch after 3 outs. Team with the highest score gets to pick what silly drill the losers have to do.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
My biggest pet peeve with the way baserunning is taught is the idea that a runner who has passed first tries to pick up the 3rd base coach half way to second. I see so many runners who could be on third end up at second because of the communication difficulty in doing this.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Some aspect of base running should be covered at each practice. In a game, that as they get older, hits and runs are at a premium a team that runs the bases best has the advantage.

R

RayR

Reading ball flight is one of the biggest problems in FP, IMO....knowing a ball hit into RF is going to fall in for a hit or split the outfielders, etc.

Most girls for whatever reason watch the ball all the way instead of alternating quickly between ball flight and the fielders and determining if the ball will be caught before it hits the ground.....

I agree that if a coach has to send you it is probably too late....I am there to stop you....but out of the box a baserunner should be able to tell if the hit is going for extra bases....or from 2B a runner should know the ball is going to fall in and be on their way to 3B...

The big thing is leads....most girls are not aggressive enough taking leads....that extra step can mean all the difference in the world....

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
My biggest pet peeve with the way baserunning is taught is the idea that a runner who has passed first tries to pick up the 3rd base coach half way to second. I see so many runners who could be on third end up at second because of the communication difficulty in doing this.

Fix it with cones during practice. Put the orange cone at the point where the player should pick up the coach. They get in the habit at a certain point on the base-path.

I use base-running drills for conditioning at the end of practices. I think I can post a couple of examples.

Here are a few, but I can't get the graphics included which lays out the runners and sequences. I need to get a PDF creator so I can turn the illustrations into .gifs or .jpegs

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
TEAM SLIDING DRILL

The team is divided up into groups at home plate, first base, and second base to execute various slides and base-running skills into bases. These sliding drills can be incorporated into other practice skills as outlined when the coach says go, or a ball is hit to initiate the advance.

* Proper rounding of bases and other baserunning mechanics is emphasized.
* Group 1 is assigned to advance to 3rd base where each runner will execute a bent-knee slide.
* Group 2 is advances to home plate to execute a back-door roll-over slide, avoiding a make believe catcher’s tag (it works best to include a coach who blocks the direct path to the plate).
* Group 3 is assigned to take a three step leadoff, and then return to 3rd base in order to tag and advance to home plate without sliding.
* Group 4, which is twice as large (and should be an odd number), is divided into two assignments: every-other player runs through 1st base, then sets up, preparing to advance to 2nd base in case of a overthrow. When the first baserunner is half way up the base line, the second baserunner sprints around 1st base and advances to 2nd base, where they execute a head-first or slide-by slide.
NOTE - Other types of slides can be incorporated into this drill at 2nd and 3rd bases.
NOTE - In addition, balls can be hit to right field where the right fielder will either catch a ground ball or fly ball and then throw toward a cutoff person (SS) in line with 3rd base. A fielder is stationed at third base to receive a throw. A throw can also be made to a fielder at 2nd base if a head-first slide is being executed there. If throws are being made, helmets must be worn by participants.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
BASERUNNING/OUTFIELD DRILL 1

Objectives: players take turns running the bases while the outfield takes fly ball practice
Personnel: two coaches and all players
Equipment: coach hits balls or uses a pitching machine to throw the only fly balls.

Execute the following elements starting with the first hit ball:

* A base runner at home plate runs to 1st base and rounds the bag continuing to 2nd base. Soccer cones can be placed along the 1st base line, forcing the batter-baserunner to round the base properly. Going to 2nd base, the runner should pick up the 3rd base coach at about 2/3 of the way to the bag and receives a hands up “stop” signal. (The hit/machine ball is simply a timing device. Runner pretends the ball was a hit and not a fly ball).
* On the next hit ball, the runner at 2nd base practices her lead-off and a quick return to the bag (the returning base-runner should slide head first back into bag, or return with her back and head away from an imaginary throw, or in other words with her right foot on the bag). She pretends that there is an overthrow and immediately goes to 3rd base and slides into the base feet first.
* At 3rd base, the base runner leads off as the coach throws the ball up to hit it, or feeds the pitching machine, and returns to the bag to tag up on the ball hit into the air, advancing on the catch. (If the coach fails to hit a catchable fly ball the base runner advances when the ball hits the ground. If the ball hits in the infield, the ground ball nullifies the play)
* By the third ball, three baserunners are running the bases at all times.
* As each player reaches home plate, she takes a defensive position. Two to three runners should be waiting at home plate to prevent delays. All runners should be in the habit of wearing helmets on the bases regardless of the apparent safety in this drill.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
BASERUNNING/OUTFIELD DRILL 2

The coach uses a pitching machine to throw, or hit fly balls to the outfield. Players take turns running the bases, pretending when appropriate any fly balls are base hits, executing the following elements starting with the first "hit" ball:

* A baserunner at home plate runs to 1st base, rounding the bag, then holds up at 1st base. Soccer cones can be placed along the 1st base line forcing the batter-baserunner to round the base properly. (The runner pretends the ball was a hit and not a fly ball).
* On the next hit ball, the runner at 1st base takes off as if there is a hit for extra bases or to right field. Before the runner reaches a point 2/3 of the way to 2nd base, the runner should pick up the 3rd base coach, and receive a signal to advance to 3rd base where she slides into the base. Note - As an option, the baserunners can receive the “hands up” stop signal after being instructed to continue rounding the bag. The base runner then holds up at second base. The runner then rounds 3rd base and scores on the next hit ball.
* At 3rd base, the base runner leads off as the coach throws the ball up to hit it, or feeds the pitching machine, and returns to the bag to tag up on the ball hit into the air, advancing on the catch. (If the coach fails to hit a catchable fly ball the base runner advances when the ball hits the ground. If the ball hits in the infield, the ground ball nullifies the play)
* By the third ball, three base runners are running the bases at all times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes