Baseball or fastpitch catcher's mitt for Dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What size glove did you use? Trying to think of whether a big OF glove or a smaller IF glove would be best for a catcher.
Cannot recall size but it was not a smaller glove and at times as a teenager I had gloves that two softballs could fit in the pocket. These were a couple from college the one on the left served me well at the College World Series . 20221204_115055.jpg

Especially with youngsters starting out sometimes catchers gloves are not that great. Bulky and different feeling then Fielder's glove. Hard to break in or squeeze when the ball's not traveling fast and they can often weigh a bit more. Usually catchers who are just starting out are much more comfortable with their Fielding glove they've already been using. Plus the pitches aren't really going that fast so as far as extra padding not really necessary (can wear a batting glove inside if needed)
Best to be able to maneuver the glove
and catch correctly. (including be able to hold the glove up throughout the inning)
So imo starting catching with Fielder's glove is okay.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Cannot recall size but it was not a smaller glove and at times as a teenager I had gloves that two softballs could fit in the pocket. These were a couple from college the one on the left served me well at the College World Series . View attachment 26951

Especially with youngsters starting out sometimes catchers gloves are not that great. Bulky and different feeling then Fielder's glove. Hard to break in or squeeze when the ball's not traveling fast and they can often weigh a bit more. Usually catchers who are just starting out are much more comfortable with their Fielding glove they've already been using. Plus the pitches aren't really going that fast so as far as extra padding not really necessary (can wear a batting glove inside if needed)
and catch correctly. (including be able to hold the glove up throughout the inning)
So starting catching with Fielder's glove is okay.
Got a whole new respect for you and your Badassery RAD, plus didn’t the college pitchers pitch from 25’ back in the early seventies?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Got a whole new respect for you and your Badassery RAD, plus didn’t the college pitchers pitch from 25’ back in the early seventies?
Darn near close to 25' 😅
Starting at 40 ft and Landing erasing the pitching circle line. Add to that some of the pitchers did their leapishing
Crow hop / Leap = leapishing

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
So starting catching with Fielder's glove is okay.

Agree with this completely.

No need to use a catcher's mitt if they're catching an 11" ball that's traveling 35 mph.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This is funny but kind of cool...
one of the players on a team I'm working with said I reminded them of Jamie Lee Curtis in the movie Halloween where she goes to kick azz on Michael Myers.
🙂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad