Base Running Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Situation:
Batter hits ball to short right field. Right fielder fields ball on a one hop and makes a quick throw to 1st. 1st baseman turns, sees the quick development positions and stretches out to catch the ball coming in for an out on the oncoming batter runner.
1st baseman positioning:
Her foot was on the inside (fair territory), back side (outfield side) of the bag. She has been taught this to allow the runner to either run straight through the bag and break down or take a turn on the front inside corner towards 2nd.
Result:
Batter Runner hustles down the line, upon the verbal guidance from the coach, takes the turn and PLOWS into my 1st baseman causing them both to fall. 1st baseman made the catch and was in contact with the bag until hit by the runner. She did not drop the ball but paid a nasty price for this. She was essentially blind sided because she was stretched out towards RF with her back to the runner.
Ruling:
Plate Umpire Holds Hand out for his partner to realize his perspective on the play. Field Umpire rules BR us safe.

I went to the plate umpire and asked why his hand out was out to gain his perspective on the play. I was calm in my request despite my anger at the opposing team for causing this collision. The Umpires RESPONSE WAS.... "You do not want my input on this one because I would rule against your 1st baseman as it was obstruction." When I returned to my position afterwards the opposing coach said, "My Players know how to run the bases" This gave me the impression that he tells them to do this when running.
Questions:
1) I have been coaching for a long time and even in Rec Ball with little experience I have never seen a runners path take them this far back and into an opposing player. So is this ruling correct?

2) Are there any rules to protect defensive players from this type of contact? I am seeing it more and more on my 1st baseman by other teams. I know we are not positioned in the runners way. Furthermore we play with a safety bag at 1st. I have even watched players with no intention of turning to 2nd run onto the white bag when running through and knock our 1st baseman down.

I mean who calls for a player to take a turn at first on a short hit fly ball to RF? It was one of our pitchers too and opposing coach knew this.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
No runner may remain on her feet and crash into a player in possession of the ball.

Shame on the plate umpire for even addressing the call since this was the base umpire's call.

Jun 24, 2013
It sounds like both Umps saw this specific play different then the OP.

I do not think you can protest this type of play but you can mention to the umpire before the game to watch out for it. Hopefully a couple ejections will stop the offenses from doing this.

I have even watched players with no intention of turning to 2nd run onto the white bag when running through and knock our 1st baseman down.

That is against the rules but an interpretation by the umpire on the runners intent. You might be able to win this one with a discussion. If the runner is called out but ran into your Player using the white part of the bag I think you are arguing the runner should be ejected, you have your out already.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I will let one of the umpiring experts give you a professional response, but my $0.02.....if the 1st basemen is making a play and has possession of the ball, then it should have been interference on the runner. If the 1B does NOT have the ball and is blocking the base path, then the 1B can be called for obstruction and the base runner could be awarded 2B.

Jun 22, 2008
There is no about to receive in any ruleset I am aware of other than NCAA. And even then it is defined as the ball being closer to the fielder than the runner. As for crashing into a fielder in posession of the ball, your post makes it seem as if it was a very close play at 1st so I dont see a crash call. However, 8-2-E could very well apply. When a batter/runner runs outside the 3' running lane and interferes with the fielder taking the throw at 1st base.

That all being said, based on the description of the play it certainly sounds like the coach is intructing his players to purposely make contact with fielders in an attempt to draw an obstruction call. Very well could be unsportsmanlike conduct and a quick trip to the parking lot for both the coach and player.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
There is no about to receive in any ruleset I am aware of other than NCAA. And even then it is defined as the ball being closer to the fielder than the runner. As for crashing into a fielder in posession of the ball, your post makes it seem as if it was a very close play at 1st so I dont see a crash call. However, 8-2-E could very well apply. When a batter/runner runs outside the 3' running lane and interferes with the fielder taking the throw at 1st base.

That all being said, based on the description of the play it certainly sounds like the coach is intructing his players to purposely make contact with fielders in an attempt to draw an obstruction call. Very well could be unsportsmanlike conduct and a quick trip to the parking lot for both the coach and player.

Thanks everyone and thanks Comp. I feel it is splitting hairs. It was a bang bang play. all happened quickly. But WHY WOULD ANYONE MAKE A PLAYER TAKE A TURN TO 2 on a SHORT RF hit????? It was malicious and no one can convince me otherwise. Problem is....How does one ensure the protection of their players against these tactics. Since the Fall collisions at 1st base have occurred 5 times and I know we are not blocking the runner path. We are specifically instructing it and watching for it since the first time we had a collision.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Sounds like the coach is a complete tool. When taking IF between innings my 1B might just accidentally miss a hard throw from the 2B or SS if the 1B coach isn't paying attention next inning.

Mar 15, 2014
The plate umpire was signaling obstruction--probably to his partner. ( Which, IMHO, is the wrong call.)
As an umpire I would have called time and warned the coach that this type of conduct is not going to be tolerated.
Had the runner knocked the ball out of the fielders hand I would have called interference and called her out.
( I once had a coach who taught his 3rd baseman to push the runner off the base and make a tag when the umpire was not looking.
I awarded the girl home on obstruction and told the coach that I have eyes in the back of my head.)
If it happened again both the runner and coach are gone.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
That is against the rules but an interpretation by the umpire on the runners intent. You might be able to win this one with a discussion. If the runner is called out but ran into your Player using the white part of the bag I think you are arguing the runner should be ejected, you have your out already.

Not one time have I asked and received a call. I have always been told it is "incidental" contact. To which I then reply....So you are saying it is a hazard of playing 1st? That the other team can work to "Force" an obstruction call when the ball is coming in or in the glove of the 1st baseman.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish