Barrel Release

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Every so often I hear the pros say barrel release when talking about a swing. Can you help clarify this?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
IMO, the barrel/bat lagging (wrist hinge) at around 90 degrees to the front forearm is released to 180 degrees(straight line with front forearm) to the palm up-palm down position. Some use a strong top hand and other a loose top hand. I prefer loose throwing motion.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Depends what you think the wrists are responsible for doing...

Some believe in a two launch approach; swing launch and barrel launch. The wrists are used to maintain control of the barrel until they decide to "release" the barrel into contact. The belief is that the wrists are used to enhance the timing window and make adjustments on the fly.

Others will claim there is only one launch; swing launch. Thought being that the barrel is launched in a direction towards the ball. The belief here is that the timing window is too short and the muscles of the wrists too small to have a significant impact on the overall process. There is still some room for adjustment, but not to the degree that the first group believes.

So, it comes down to cause or effect. Most believe that the barrel starts in a rotational fashion around the hitter and then moves onto a linear path "out from" the hitter's body. Do you believe the "out from" part requires wrist articulations at that time? Or are those articulations a result of things that happened upstream?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Thanks gents. Any gif masters out there that can give us a few side-view examples of the release to through the ball?

Dec 11, 2010
I believe the bats with moving weight in the barrel help with this. I made one hand bats out of PVC that Howard Carrier designed for this reason. The Whip Hit does the same.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
1st swing is swing launch without barrel launch. 2nd swing includes both. If you subscribe to two launches...

If you subscribe to just one launch, the 1st swing is simply a swing launch that is aborted before completion.

01bOEwL.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi