Barely Any At Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
If it is 12U and she is only getting one at bat per tournament then that would be the last tournament my kid ever played in with that team. It’s hard to believe some coaches have such a fragile ego that they would take it out on 12 year old kids. If coaches at the youth level only hit the girls who were “ready” then there would be no teams for anyone to play on.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Several things come to mind.

First of all, you admit she doesn't reach base safely every time. Even though she doesn't strike out often, on base percentage and batting average are key to many TB coaches. College coaches, including my DD's will often say, 'If you can hit, we'll find a place on the field for you.'
Hitting, in general, means not only reaching base safely, but hitting for power, average and batting runs in.

With that said, at 12U, that's the age where it's all about player development. That means time in the circle if she's a pitcher, time behind the plate if she's a catcher, field time when not playing her primary position, at bats and overall learning the game and gaining game situational awareness as well as at bats.

As for players trying out and getting more at bats, I'd probably be doing the same thing. I'd want to see how they may add to the overall performance of the offensive capability of my team. But my parents would know beforehand what was about to happen since it would only happen that particular friendly/scrimmages/# of games.

In college, few if any Pitchers bat in the line-up. Why? Because in that age group and level of competition, they are too valuable as Pitchers than as another stick in the line-up which is far more prone to injury while on base.

In summary, without knowing all of the history, interactions between player and coach and a slew of other things, it's very difficult to offer meaningful advice. Who knows? The HC may think of himself as a future college coach. However, there is one meaningful piece of advice everyone that has been in this game as long as I have will tell you and your DD; if she wants more at bats, then she needs to work her tail off and become such a great hitter that it would be undeniably crazy for any coach not to move her to #3-#5 slot. If, and until that happens, you'll be stuck with the 1-2 AB's or you move teams.

I'm not making excuses for your coach because as far as I'm concerned, there is none. But, I am offering advice based on your situation.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021
lots of variables and coaches see things differently. HOWEVER, 12u, and especially friendlies, really need to roster bat. (or not bat all the best hitters and force more reps to the girls needing most work). For cripes sake, if you cannot improve your team and lose a 'friendly" to better the entire team, what is that person doing coaching???

I'm coaching year 5 of very competitive 18u ball and can count the number of times on 1 hand where we have not roster batted.
Glad to see there are some good coaches out there. I feel like we just keep running into teams with such big issues. Besides this issue, everything else is good. But I cannot for the life of me understand why they won't give everyone equal opportunity for friendlies.

May 1, 2018
It's Jan what season are you paid up for? Find a new team were she can get reps. Simple as that. If she wants to be a P, 1st, hit ....they all take reps.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Glad to see there are some good coaches out there. I feel like we just keep running into teams with such big issues. Besides this issue, everything else is good. But I cannot for the life of me understand why they won't give everyone equal opportunity for friendlies.
Many of us on here bat our line-ups whenever possible. But according to your OP, this is not the case with your HC. Thus, the advice offered above. Your DD can either become undeniably one of the top hitters on the team through hard work or you can move on and teach her how to run from adversity. Now, if she works her tail off, achieves the goal of becoming one of the best hitters on the team and others see it as well, then moving on would be a completely viable, and more importantly, a necessary option to take. Of course, if this scenario played out, you wouldn't be the only ones moving on.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
not disputing the need to work hard and obviously OP DD is taking batting lessons. But player development and 12u = roster batting. Especially at friendlies. And if she gets say 20 game reps and goes 1 for 20, then you know. BUT 1 rep for 3 meaningless games is no way to develop players.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"but the coach never responds to me,"
^^^^^^^Unacceptable childlike behavior. My guess is she is an ex-college player lacking in common social norms.

Well, this is why I advocate to ask questions. Lots of questions before joining a team. By asking questions you set the tone of what you expect from the team.

How many players do you intend to carry on the roster?
How many pitchers?
Where do you see my DD in the batting order?
Will she get time in her secondary position?
What tournaments do you plan on attending?
Will we be taking a weekend off each month?
Are there any dads coaching on this team?
Will you be batting the roster at friendlies?

Your DD is a pitcher. She has the golden ticket! If she has a little speed and can throw strikes, she has lots of options. Next tryout offer you get remember to ask questions.

***Paid for the season??? That is not how it works in So Cal. Here you pay start up fees (uniforms) and monthly dues. Probably the reason why there is so much team jumping.

Jul 6, 2021
Several things come to mind.

First of all, you admit she doesn't reach base safely every time. Even though she doesn't strike out often, on base percentage and batting average are key to many TB coaches. College coaches, including my DD's will often say, 'If you can hit, we'll find a place on the field for you.'
Hitting, in general, means not only reaching base safely, but hitting for power, average and batting runs in.

With that said, at 12U, that's the age where it's all about player development. That means time in the circle if she's a pitcher, time behind the plate if she's a catcher, field time when not playing her primary position, at bats and overall learning the game and gaining game situational awareness as well as at bats.

As for players trying out and getting more at bats, I'd probably be doing the same thing. I'd want to see how they may add to the overall performance of the offensive capability of my team. But my parents would know beforehand what was about to happen since it would only happen that particular friendly/scrimmages/# of games.

In college, few if any Pitchers bat in the line-up. Why? Because in that age group and level of competition, they are too valuable as Pitchers than as another stick in the line-up which is far more prone to injury while on base.

In summary, without knowing all of the history, interactions between player and coach and a slew of other things, it's very difficult to offer meaningful advice. Who knows? The HC may think of himself as a future college coach. However, there is one meaningful piece of advice everyone that has been in this game as long as I have will tell you and your DD; if she wants more at bats, then she needs to work her tail off and become such a great hitter that it would be undeniably crazy for any coach not to move her to #3-#5 slot. If, and until that happens, you'll be stuck with the 1-2 AB's or you move teams.

I'm not making excuses for your coach because as far as I'm concerned, there is none. But, I am offering advice based on your situation.
Thank you for all the advice!

She is definitely putting in a lot of work with her hitting. But I feel like if she gets anything less than a homerun or triple with her one at bat per weekend, then she will continue to get just one at bat. But she isn't going to magically get there without live game reps.

I understand that as she gets older she will get less and less batting opportunities since she is a pitcher. But being that she is only 11, it is a fast way to lessen her interest of the game when she feels like no matter what she does, she isn't going to be given an opportunity.

That, and the coach not responding to my question is very frustrating. It wasn't a text with me complaining, I just simply asked what she could do to try to earn more at bats. And no, this isn't the first time she has not responded to a text of mine asking a question. I want to ask her in person, but the lack of communication via text makes her seem very unapproachable.

Jul 31, 2015
Nothing to add, all great advice so far.
Players at 12U need reps, reps, reps.

Sounds like an immature coach. Good that you reached out to her Dad.
Hopefully he will help you. Let us know.

But just in case, start looking around at other teams. Can't hurt to go observe during down times at tournaments.

And next time, ask to pay monthly.
No matter what team you're on.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad