Ball Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
Madsdad, I'm glad you have Building the House, great video in my opinion. Resist the urge to "correct" her follow-through. As you've noticed, it isn't natural and affects her speed and spin. If you want to get more of a 12/6 spin check the wrist angle at release and grip on the ball.

Jul 14, 2008
This question comes up all the time. Boardmember went through the description of what a fastball from a righty would look like with the gears when thrown with internal rotation. It showed them at more like 8-2. I watch the spin on my DD's drop/fastball and that's the spin I see all the time. If anyone is truly throwing a straight 6-12 spin, I would really love to see a video with a stripe on the ball showing it.

This usually falls under the catergory of "do what I say, not what I do"........;)

I would venture the same question for rise thrown "full speed".......

Although I'm sure some can get closer then others.......

Feb 6, 2009
I've stopped trying to fix it. She has great spin and when she get's it right, it cut down and in to a righty. Exactly what I'm looking for. She throws a good turnover drop/curve away but when she threw a turnover drop in, it always had a sligth tail back over the plate. I think the peel tailing in is much better.

May 7, 2008
DFW
After reading these responses I dont feel I need to add anything other than I do have a question. How much time are you spending during lessons or practice working on finger movement to create correct and better spin? I say this because most pitchers dont want to work on this aspect of pitching. They would just rather go out and throw the ball. If you spend some time putting some emphasis on spin you will be surprised at the improvement your young pitcher will make with not only correct spin but the movement of the ball.

Dana.

Feb 6, 2009
If you can show me a stiped ball at perfect 12-6 rotation thrown at full speed, using internal roation, I'll start working on it. I don't believe that's the way the ball spins on a peel drop. I believe that if you throw with good internal rotation, and the ball comes off the right index finger last it will turn the axis slightly. I see it spin end over end but axis turned in a little bit. I do believe that if you turn the ball to second base at 12 o'clock and throw it that way you can make true 12-6 spin but slower because you can't internally rotate that way. I can throw it that way and I see 12-6 spin. But that's not the way people pitch. For what it's worth, I spend countless hours working with my DD's hitting and pitching and it's not just about throwing. But even now, you have people on here at high levels that don't even agree on things like this. Hillhouse and Boardmemeber are great examples IMO. I've read the internal roatation post 5 times or more and now believe that the ball spins as descibed in that post. Hillhouse, and you I assume, believe you can make true 12-6 spin on a fastball. So who to believe. My experience on a bucket with slow motion film of my DD, Boardmemebers explanation and studying video of other's like Osterman, Finch, etc, make me believe it's a waste of time trying to get 12-6 because it won't happen. I also think it's a diservice to continue telling people on here they can acheive 12-6 if they really can't.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
If you can show me a stiped ball at perfect 12-6 rotation thrown at full speed, using internal roation, I'll start working on it. I don't believe that's the way the ball spins on a peel drop. I believe that if you throw with good internal rotation, and the ball comes off the right index finger last it will turn the axis slightly. I see it spin end over end but axis turned in a little bit. I do believe that if you turn the ball to second base at 12 o'clock and throw it that way you can make true 12-6 spin but slower because you can't internally rotate that way. I can throw it that way and I see 12-6 spin. But that's not the way people pitch. For what it's worth, I spend countless hours working with my DD's hitting and pitching and it's not just about throwing. But even now, you have people on here at high levels that don't even agree on things like this. Hillhouse and Boardmemeber are great examples IMO. I've read the internal roatation post 5 times or more and now believe that the ball spins as descibed in that post. Hillhouse, and you I assume, believe you can make true 12-6 spin on a fastball. So who to believe. My experience on a bucket with slow motion film of my DD, Boardmemebers explanation and studying video of other's like Osterman, Finch, etc, make me believe it's a waste of time trying to get 12-6 because it won't happen. I also think it's a diservice to continue telling people on here they can acheive 12-6 if they really can't.

My experience is the same.- also, it seems to me that everyone universally is against bullet spin, I would think that a true bullet spin would be almost impossible to throw with any kind of reasonable mechanics & speed.

May 12, 2008
The instructor who started my DD also started Cat. His kids start with a "fastball" with perfect bullet spin. I assure you Cat had reasonable mechanics and speed back then when she threw her "fastball". As did many of his other pitchers.

Jan 27, 2010
The instructor who started my DD also started Cat. His kids start with a "fastball" with perfect bullet spin. I assure you Cat had reasonable mechanics and speed back then when she threw her "fastball". As did many of his other pitchers.

I agree that a bullet spin can be thrown with speed and control. I also believe that all pitchers are physically diverse and some have more natural tendencies and they should be taken into consideration as long as they are mechanically sound . One size does not fit all .

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
This usually falls under the catergory of "do what I say, not what I do"........;)

I would venture the same question for rise thrown "full speed".......

Although I'm sure some can get closer then others.......

Is the average rise spin more spiral than 6/12? Are there any who can throw close to 6/12?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd