Ball Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
I agree that a bullet spin can be thrown with speed and control. I also believe that all pitchers are physically diverse and some have more natural tendencies and they should be taken into consideration as long as they are mechanically sound . One size does not fit all .

Agreed.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
do you all understand how a bullet is spinning when it exits a barrell??? there is no top to bottom spin whatsoever. the only way to achieve bullet spin with a thrown softball is tostart the fingers on the outside of the ball, & come over the top & down the otherside at release. I cant wrap my head around how to do that with speed & mechanics....keep in mind here you did say BULLET SPIN, not a top to bottom spin with the axis rotated.....picture the gears in boardmembers origonal post spinning sideways with the flat part of the gear being at the front.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Picture this in your mind- if you are going to throw bullet spin on a ball, you could take a magic marker & make a small dot, say dime size on the front of the ball. as you release it the dot would stay on the front all the way to the catcher....just like the point of a bullet....now I would LOVE to see someone video that!

May 12, 2008
do you all understand how a bullet is spinning when it exits a barrell??? there is no top to bottom spin whatsoever. the only way to achieve bullet spin with a thrown softball is tostart the fingers on the outside of the ball, & come over the top & down the otherside at release. I cant wrap my head around how to do that with speed & mechanics....keep in mind here you did say BULLET SPIN, not a top to bottom spin with the axis rotated.....picture the gears in boardmembers origonal post spinning sideways with the flat part of the gear being at the front.

Picture a football pass thrown underhand.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Mark, actually that is what I am picturing...without getting your fingers "behind" the ball in some fashion or another you cannot possibly get maximum speed on it. The only resaon you throw a football the way you do is because of the aerodynamics of the football.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Picture a football pass thrown underhand.

Even if it was possible, why would you want to throw a pitch that has not movement (i.e. perfect bullet spin)? It would seem to me that 12/6 rotation (or something close to it) gives the pitcher better downward movement, while maintaining good speed.

May 12, 2008
Mark, actually that is what I am picturing...without getting your fingers "behind" the ball in some fashion or another you cannot possibly get maximum speed on it. The only resaon you throw a football the way you do is because of the aerodynamics of the football.

I agree some speed is lost. Probably a couple of mph. The guy who teaches this moves quickly and successfully to teaching a roll drop, flip change and a rise.

May 12, 2008
Even if it was possible, why would you want to throw a pitch that has not movement (i.e. perfect bullet spin)? It would seem to me that 12/6 rotation (or something close to it) gives the pitcher better downward movement, while maintaining good speed.

I agree.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd