Ball 4 and leaving the field of play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 18, 2011
I seen a call where the batter thought she was out but the call was actually ball 4. The batter proceeded to sit in the dugout and remover her helmut. The umpire got her from the dugout and told her to take her base, eventhough she left the field of play. He claimed that ball 4 is a dead ball and that she is not subject to being out for leaving the field because of it.

Is that really the correct call? It seemed very odd to me.

Mar 13, 2010
Not the correct call to me. It's 100% a live ball.

It might depend on what age group this is as to whether it was warranted.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The batter can run from the batter’s box, to 1st, then 2nd. It is a live ball.

Another example is umpires will not give you a timeout to talk to your P until after the runner reaches 1st base and the play is over.

Sounds like the Ump is giving the Player a break.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
ASA 8-2-D Batter runner is out when the batter runner fails to advance to first base and enters the team area after a fair batted ball, a base on balls in fast pitc and slow pitch with stealing, a dropped third strike or catchers obstruction.

Some associations do treat a ball 4 as a dead ball in the younger age groups, but, under ASA rules, the ball is always live unless declared dead by the umpire.

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks

It was a 12U game, but they do allow runners to advance to 2nd, or hold time outs to talk to the pitcher until the batter reaches 1st.

Only other thing I can think of is that the League plays by USSSA rules not ASA...

I would think both associations are the same on this though as they are very similar in most aspects of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877