back teaching the younger groups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2017
I have a 7 and 8 year old student and she is driving out straight forward and not getting turned at all.

Personally I don't want them to turn but I don't want them to drive straight either.

What kind of teachings or drills are you guys doing to promote turning to a 45 instead of driving straight out?

I don't want to over teach that 45 degree angle. I don't want her ending up sideways sticking butt out!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I have a 7 and 8-year-old student and she is driving out straight forward and not getting turned at all.

Personally, I don't want them to turn but I don't want them to drive straight either.

What kind of teachings or drills are you guys doing to promote turning to a 45 instead of driving straight out?

I don't want to over teach that 45-degree angle. I don't want her ending up sideways sticking butt out!

If they are learning to drive out explosively, they should be able to stay square. That is, driving out explosively will naturally open the hips to at least 45. And, given the shoulders will naturally open, if they let them, so will the shoulders.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
If they are learning to drive out explosively, they should be able to stay square. That is, driving out explosively will naturally open the hips to at least 45. And, given the shoulders will naturally open, if they let them, so will the shoulders.

Ditto to what Doug said....even just walking out casually to throw underhand gets you to naturally open to around 45.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I have a 7 and 8 year old student and she is driving out straight forward and not getting turned at all.

Personally I don't want them to turn but I don't want them to drive straight either.

I don't want to over teach that 45 degree angle. I don't want her ending up sideways sticking butt out!

Agree with everyone else...

Don't do a thing...it's a "no teach"

Your arm doesn't move like a ferris wheel at it's attachment point (your shoulder)

This is from Doug's YouTube Channel...note the shoulder angle as the arm starts to move over the shoulder...it's a natural move...

CP

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30