Avoiding raindrops, we got in 1st scrimmage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
It's been a tough start for most of the leagues in our area because of the heavy rains. My rec team lucked out last week by being able to practice outdoors Monday, but then teams who had other days were completely rained out. We then rented a tunnel on Saturday for hitting practice and since they had a big, open parking lot out back that was pretty dry, we got in some additional work on bunting and throwing. I can't complain, though - by this time last year, I think we'd already done 4 or 5 indoor practices.

I wasn't sure how losing such a terrific player was going to impact us on both offense and defense, but another teammate is developing a good aptitude for putting bat on ball, so if her progress continues, I'm confident that we'll be able to get some runs across. She was 2-for-2 with a walk batting leadoff last night.

Defensively, we did drop 1 fly ball at SS, and walked 6, but they only got 1 hit in 5 innings and we did help ourselves with a double play. We had a few other 1-3 and 4-3 put-outs. There are only a couple of teams with more good bats than them, so I was quite pleased with those numbers. All 3 of our pitchers got at least 1 inning.

Thankfully, we've got really solid pitching, so even though we're not focused on wins, I'm hoping that will at least allow us to be competitive. We may not be glamorous, but games are being kept strategically simple while so much of our time is devoted to teaching our players to throw.

It was only a scrimmage, but I was really pleased with how the girls looked out there after so little time on the field with one another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild