Average pitchers, what is the problem?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Simply? Pitching is a LOT of work and not everyone wants to put in the time.

And it does take a certain type of person to go out in the middle of the field and deal with the various mental side of pitching as well. When given the option, a lot would rather not do it.

Also a lot of girls never get past just throwing it hard past people in 10U/12U so never develop into real pitchers - and for the less talented teams they face it may be enough even at some of the older ages so maybe that is OK for their team.

Also pitching is just very, very scarce.

There are lots and lots of teams and just a limited number of pitchers. And since there just isn't a lot of late developing pitchers due to it being a learned motion, as girls leave the sport or decide to no longer pitch, the pitching pool just gets smaller and smaller. Go out and look at all the 12U teams or think about when your DD was in 12U - that pool of girls pitching is it. I can't think of a high level pitcher in our area who started pitching after 12U. It isn't baseball where you can put anyone in there to throw something resembling a strike.

Lastly there is not a lot of good instruction out there. There is a grand total of 2 pitching coaches in our area who really know what they are doing (and I am in a rich area of softball talent). Bad pitching coaches are booked solid. And most parents don't know the difference.

Pitching IS a ton of work, but it also takes some God-given talent. My kid does some things on a ballfield as well as ANYONE, and there was no lack of resources or time, but she sucked as a pitcher. While warming up for BP a few days ago, I start throwing windmill pitches, and she says "it's sad when your dad can pitch better than you...". I know a kid who does the work, but is barely passable, and another who does nothing but can usually do a credible job after only five warmups. No matter what the now 15yo "worker" does, she's probably never going to get there, while the kid with that God-given talent won't work at it, but is better.

The older age groups, 14U and above, really clear out who can pitch and who can't. In addition to natural ability, the time required, cost, and pressure is what makes good pitching so scarce and valuable. There's also the parent that would rather have their kid be the #3 or #4 pitcher on a high level team vs the #1 or #2 on a lesser, but still competitive one. Consequently, much of the "good" pitching tends to concentrate on a relatively small number of teams in each area.

Last edited:

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
I understand what you mean. But if that "worker" isn't given correct instruction she will not make it. No matter how hard she works. It take god given talent and good instruction. Some of the girls with most potential will never make it due to poor instruction.

Pitching IS a ton of work, but it also takes some God-given talent. My kid does some things on a ballfield as well as ANYONE, and there was no lack of resources or time, but she sucked as a pitcher. While warming up for BP a few days ago, I start throwing windmill pitches, and she says "it's sad when your dad can pitch better than you...". I know a kid who does the work, but is barely passable, and another who does nothing but can usually do a credible job after only five warmups. No matter what the now 15yo "worker" does, she's probably never going to get there, while the kid with that God-given talent won't work at it, but is better.

The older age groups, 14U and above, really clear out who can pitch and who can't. In addition to natural ability, the time required, cost, and pressure is what makes good pitching so scarce and valuable. There's also the parent that would rather have their kid be the #3 or #4 pitcher on a high level team vs the #1 or #2 on a lesser, but still competitive one. Consequently, much of the "good" pitching tends to concentrate on a relatively small number of teams in each area.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
I still remember a coach asking about DD2. He asked my wife "How many pitches does she have?" My wife responded "Two", "A ball and a strike".

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Recently I have been having a discussion with a couple of friends (both former TB coaches, ones a pitchers dad and ones a catchers dad) and my wife about a very common trend I see in softball. My DD has played on high level A teams and what I would refer to as low A teams as well. Though it is not near as common on the high A level I did see it some, and I see a lot of it in the low A level. What I am talking about is pitchers who throw a lot of strikes, throw very few balls, give up a lot of hits and have high ERAs. It is almost like they are afraid to not have the entire ball over the white of the plate no matter what pitch is called. I have been off the field and behind the fence now for the last year so I don't feel like it is my place to say anything concerning our pitchers who do this. Though my kid may give up more walks (even more than I would like), she is either pitching to the black on the plate or the umpires zone. She works to just nick the strike zone. She has the lowest ERA, lowest number of hits, the most Ks on her team. She moves the ball through the zone and tries to throw the ball so that it is moving on 2 plains.
My question is are the other pitchers not doing this because no one is explaining the importance of doing this and teaching them how to accomplish this, is it that they are not skilled enough in their pitching to do this, or are they just not physically able to spin a ball correctly to get the movement so that it no staying flat?
Now I know that a lot of pitcher's parents do not take the time to learn all they can about pitching, and I also know that 85% of the pitching coaches are only teaching the basics of how to throw a pitch but not getting into the full understanding of how to be a pitcher. Do most coaches, especially the ones who don't have a DD who is a pitcher not know to discuss these things with their pitchers, are they expecting the pitching coaches to be teaching this stuff? I am sure the answer is a combination of all of this but it just makes no since to me. If I am a coach and my pitchers are getting beat up every time they pitch, and their strike % is super high with a low number of strikeouts, I am going to be working with that pitcher to make sure they are only pitching to a small section of the plate every time.
I am sure there are some people who are going to read this and may realize that I am talking about their kid in a round about way. Maybe through what is discussed here and peoples responses it can help others improve their DD pitching success.

In college there is a nickname for balls that are thrown completely in the white....DINGER!

Nov 29, 2009
In college there is a nickname for balls that are thrown completely in the white....DINGER!

Amen to that!!!! And I've seen them golfed and tomahawked from 12" outside the zone out of the park.

I will ask a pitcher what is the best pitch you can throw? They usually answer a strike, drop, FB etc... Then I tell them the best pitch they can throw is a ball outside the zone a hitter swings at and misses.

Another thing I find is if you ask a pitcher and catcher where the strike is called at they don't know. Once I explain it is at the front of home plate I can usually get better feedback from them in the games about what is working and what isn't.

I also ask them how much of the ball must pass through the strikezone for it to be a strike. Many are not sure. After explaining to them the concept of painting the corners they seem to understand better. Then I'll move the ball off of the plate a ball width and tell them some umpires will give them that and to use it.

One of my students has a coach who wants them to throw a FB over the middle with 3 balls on a hitter and hope the defense can make a play. I told him I'd rather have the pitcher working the edges of the zone. That way instead of a hitter running wild on the bases after drilling a fat pitch you have a walked controlled runner on first who can be forced, picked off or caught stealing giving the defense better odds at getting an out. Don't know if it sank in or not. That was last fall.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
I understand what you mean. But if that "worker" isn't given correct instruction she will not make it. No matter how hard she works. It take god given talent and good instruction. Some of the girls with most potential will never make it due to poor instruction.

Had a girl one time who desperately wanted to pitch. She worked hard and practiced regularly. Unfortunately, she did not have one iota of quick twitch muscle fiber in her body. She possessed the desire, drive and attitude to be a good pitcher. She just didn't have the body for it. On the flip side. The girl was a natural with a violin. She won numerous contests with just an average work ethic.

Apr 28, 2014
DD is usually right on the blacks.. She struck out 15 in her last HS game. Today ump was not giving either pitcher any edges. Our team can hit.. as could the other team. ending 14-6 with 5 homers between the two teams. Same teams played 3 weeks ago we won 5-4. As the kids get older forcing them to go on the plate will be punished.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Same teams played 3 weeks ago we won 5-4. As the kids get older forcing them to go on the plate will be punished.

Too many parents let their DD use the umpire as an excuse. Pitchers have to adapt to the umpire.

E.g., as the kids get older, the batters are less interested in the umpire's strike zone and more interested in "getting a pitch to hit".

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
Too many parents let their DD use the umpire as an excuse. Pitchers have to adapt to the umpire.

I couldn't agree more. My daughter used to always have an excuse about something when she was 10u. It was either the ump, the mound, the weather...something. She got over it, bucked up and now seems to bulldog up more. Last tourney, one of the fields mound had the nub of the 35' mound sticking up and it was very close to the landing area of our girls. Our #1 seemed to be bothered by it but my DD motored through. When I first saw it I thought it would be a problem for mine and she is going to lose it. She didn't and pitched one of her best games this year. She is a low ball thrower which is usually a good thing. I find that many umps that are new to softball from baseball don't have a low strike zone and want it up above the shins/knee. It should be her making the adjustment, part of learning.

Apr 28, 2014

E.g., as the kids get older, the batters are less interested in the umpire's strike zone and more interested in "getting a pitch to hit".

Couldn't agree more. Let em hit.. No one cares.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00