Attendance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2012
Coaches, what are your policies on attendance? During our Winter workouts, I've had issues with girls making practices. We have a policy that excuses school functions/sports and since Sandy, we've had a lot of illness. My dd's pediatrician believes that because of all the time spent in shelters and bunking with other people/family, that illnesses like strep throat is at an all time high in our area. So I want to be understanding. I've had parents keep their daughters home because they have make up homework because of the time they missed at school due to strep throat. Others who are still not feeling great, etc...
I told the girls that I will be taking attendance and reviewing before games start and their attendance record will help me to determine playing time at the start of the season. I told them this heading into Christmas break and starting the new year, they will be held to a higher standard. First batting practice, I had 5 of 12 miss.
So I'm sticking with my plan, but was wondering about other coaches experience with this and remedies you've come up with.

Apr 9, 2012
If you have had a nonstandard event then I would let anything in the past go. Have a meeting to discuss expectations moving forward and ask of any challenges to those expectations.

It usually resolves all attendance issues.

My expectations this time of year are practice is mandatory. Winter workouts are SO benefiical to growth of an individual player. this is the time for deep practice and to go beyond our abilities as a player.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The best remedy that I know is to find 10 girls/families that want to make softball and winter workouts a priority. But that can take time. :)

It sounds like your players are missing for legit reasons, though. You mentioned only three things - illness, academics, sports/school functions. If they're ill, they shouldn't come. If coming to softball compromises their schoolwork, they shouldn't come. If they have another sport, you've stated that you have a policy that excuses that. ...

It's not unusual for attendance to be down in December w/ travel, illness, etc., going on. Once the new year hits, it's easier to gauge the true level of commitment that they have.

Feb 3, 2011
Nonstandard event. Great term. I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know what each of your families has dealt with the past couple of months, but I do know that wide-scale events like what you experienced with Sandy can have a great impact even on people who were not displaced or who did not miss much time from work. You mentioned the increased frequency of illness and that's just 1 of the multitude of inconveniences people have to deal with. You might not have had to miss a single day from work. But what about the vendors who can't get the materials they need? What about the breakfast counter operator who has no milk or eggs for a week? What about all the people volunteering on clean-up and rebuilding crews?

When storms hit, things are re-prioritized in the lives of those in affected areas. The bigger the storm, the lengthier the period of re-prioritization and from where I sit in my armchair of judgment, I simply do not see softball practice as a main priority within the context of the situation you have described - missed school assignments, etc.

What age group are you coaching?

On top of that sounds like you just had this practice this week or last...I probably would make workouts anytime school is not in session optional, families make plans even if they are not out of town I don't really count on players being there during the Christmas holiday.

On the other hand I think having a meeting and maybe laying out expectation for the New Year wold be a great idea, I would also have a one on one with your biggest offenders and find out if it is a parent/logistical reason or a child/interest issue. I am not a big fan of punishing kids for parents problems (although sometime it can't be helped) but if the kid never wants to come that is another issue entirely.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We consider the Winter as our 'down time' , so all of our Winter workouts are voluntary - Thanksgiving through mid-January. A lot of our player are involved in other activities - school, basketball, volleyball. I would worry that you will burn your girls out if you go 'hardcore' softball 12 months a year.

Jan 24, 2011
We have access to an indoor facility once a week (Saturday morning) for 2 hours. In November and December , these sessions are voluntary. But , starting in January , the practices become mandatory

Aug 5, 2012
I completely sympathize with my fellow residents, we all went through this and all were affected to various degrees. My own daughter lost all of her stuff and clothes that were at her mothers house. In many ways, things here at the shore will never be the same. Now having said that, it's really not a matter of cutting them some slack, because I really have. With the exception of one family, all my girls are back to a normal life outside of being sick.
I probably should have made mention that I was having attendance issue before the storm. But like I told them, starting January 1st, it's a clean slate. Sure, there will be some residual aftermath, such as all the strep going around. I think I've made progress getting through to the few girls who were borderline chronic about missing. And it's harder to gauge given the circumstances, but i feel at this point, knowing what i know about each family, our attendance should be getting back to normal soon.
I was just looking to see what's worked for other coaches, besides cutting.
Oh, and my girls are 14u.

Feb 3, 2011
Non standard-Industry jargon. Not meant negative in any way.
I didn't take it in a negative manner at all. I quoted you on that, because I thought it was a comfortable way for JerseyBall to take another look at his situation from a slightly different perspective.

The fact that they were having attendance issues before the storm is worth noting, however. At 14u, I expect to see more of that than 10u or 12u, which is why I expect 14u teams to roster more players than younger teams. Regardless of why players are missing practices, they should notify the coach in advance that they won't be present.

JerseyBall, I see no problem with there being a correlation between practice attendance and playing time. You've told the players and parents what your expectations are, so now it's up to you to follow through on what you've laid down. Good luck this season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd