Athletic Catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Ok maybe im playing a little bit of devil's advocate here but after reading through the "Does catching make a player a slow runner?" Thread and reading comments like "the most athletic player on our team is our catcher" I wanted to get a bit more elaboration on that. I have come to understand during my years of playing sports up to the college level and seeing DD and her teammates that there are MANY kinds of different athletes.

DD is 10 years old, 5'2" and 160lbs. Believe me I have no disalusions about her weight issue and I know she could definitely drop some weight. But at the same time DD is freakishly one of the strongest 10 year old girl I have ever met. She has quick hands, strong arm, good catching form and solid mechanics. There is no one in our league who can beat her out of that position. Home plate collision, DD comes out ahead 99% of the time and teams think more then twice before they try to challenge her at home. I consider her an athlete for sure, the best athlete not even close. DD has teammates who are 4'5" weight 60lbs soaking wet and just glide on the bases. Some of these girls are "super athletic" big studs on the soccer field as well. Now these girls don't catch and I'm not saying with practice they couldn't do it. I'm just describing 2 different types of athletes, and I guess what I'm asking is what specific athletic attributes are you looking for to help determine what makes a good catcher.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My list of catching skills in order of priority:

1) Receiving pitches and ability to keep and convert strikes.

2) Blocking - Keeps ball in front avoiding free bases

3) Fielding - Field bunts, catching foul balls and getting outs

4) Throwing - Pickoffs and throw downs

5) Plays at the plate

That said I am looking for an athlete who quick, agile, and typically has explosive lower body strength. They must maintain proper form when receiving and get the most out of my pitcher. Blocking is key as there will be pitches in the dirt which requires a high level of agility. Agility is also key when fielding bunts so the catcher does not become a liability that a fast offense can exploit.

I am least concerned with mythical pop-times or the ability to block the plate and apply a tag. Theses are nice to have but in the grand scheme of things they are fairly rare events. However, catchers will receive upwards of 100 pitches in a game, there will be pitches in the dirt, and we know there will be some attempts at small ball. If they fail at those tasks everything else is pretty much moot.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
You've got to play kids where they are most useful to the team. So what if she can't glide on the base path, if she's your best option at C, why are you confused?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Catchers typically need a different set of athletic skills then position players and pitchers. That fast burst from point a to point b is different when point b is only 18 inches away, from setting up on the inside corner and having to block a ball in the river.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
You've got to play kids where they are most useful to the team. So what if she can't glide on the base path, if she's your best option at C, why are you confused?

Oh, I'm not confused.I'm just simply stating that there are different types of athletes so with that in mind what kind of athlete or athletic qualities are you looking for.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Ok maybe im playing a little bit of devil's advocate here but after reading through the "Does catching make a player a slow runner?" Thread and reading comments like "the most athletic player on our team is our catcher" I wanted to get a bit more elaboration on that. I have come to understand during my years of playing sports up to the college level and seeing DD and her teammates that there are MANY kinds of different athletes.

DD is 10 years old, 5'2" and 160lbs. Believe me I have no disalusions about her weight issue and I know she could definitely drop some weight. But at the same time DD is freakishly one of the strongest 10 year old girl I have ever met. She has quick hands, strong arm, good catching form and solid mechanics. There is no one in our league who can beat her out of that position. Home plate collision, DD comes out ahead 99% of the time and teams think more then twice before they try to challenge her at home. I consider her an athlete for sure, the best athlete not even close. DD has teammates who are 4'5" weight 60lbs soaking wet and just glide on the bases. Some of these girls are "super athletic" big studs on the soccer field as well. Now these girls don't catch and I'm not saying with practice they couldn't do it. I'm just describing 2 different types of athletes, and I guess what I'm asking is what specific athletic attributes are you looking for to help determine what makes a good catcher.

1. Excellent eye-hand coordination - Being able to track the ball and put the glove on it. I've seen my share of "catchers" that appeared in dire need of an eye exam.

2. Strong lower body - Provides the explosive quickness necessary for blocking and bunt coverage.

3. Good throwing arm - Some place too much emphasis on strength, but delivering an accurate and catchable throw is just as important. Forced to choose, I'll take the weaker throw that goes to the right spot every time.

4. Intelligence and presence - They need to understand the game, and let everyone else know they understand what's going on. This kind of player controls the game flow, makes everyone on the field better, and tends to turn coaches on both sides into spectators.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Hi Bchbum54:

Catching has evolved to be recognized as one of the post important position in softball - even though it's still a thankless job. I'm been coaching 20 years and I can tell you, a good catcher can make or break games for you.

Absolutely correct about making or breaking games, but a thankless job? It's not thought of that way by anyone I know. It's at least as hard to find good catching as good pitching, and easier to recruit pitching when you have good catching.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have to go with Riseball on this one. He's pretty spot on. The only thing I would change in his order would be to put fielding and throwing on par with each other at the younger ages groups. As the catchers get into the older divisions, HS and college, then I'd drop to his order simply because you will see fewer stolen base attempts as the catchers become stronger, faster, more accurate and more able to pick runners off.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
...what specific athletic attributes are you looking for to help determine what makes a good catcher.

Consistent receiving with good mitt and body position, and attention to the details that keep strikes looking like strikes. This includes having the strength to stick pitches at the location they are caught. Quickness/agility for blocking, chasing down wild pitches, fielding, and fast throwing mechanics. Throwing power is an important part of the equation, but being quick to transfer and release is equally important.

Body size is not a pre-determination I like to use. I've seen big girls who are very quick, and thin girls who aren't. The proof is in the action behind the plate. If body size is clearly causing limiters, then maybe it needs to be addressed.

One of the most important things I look at is mental attitude, game smarts, and decision-making quickness. First of all, I want a catcher-beast, not a catcher-flower. I want to have a girl behind the plate who is fiercely determined to do her job with 100% commitment. Understanding the game, and being able to make good decisions and adjustments mid-play is just as critical as any physical attribute.

Last edited:

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
My DD is now close to 5'9" tall and 170lbs at 12 years old. She is definitely the biggest kid on her team and usually on the field. She isn't nearly the fastest on the team, but she is one of, if not the quickest young lady on the team. She is fast out of the stance for pop ups and bunts, she blocks well, has the strength to hold pitches, keeps the glove in the strike zone knows the game and can throw very well. Our other catcher is a tiny little thing that is VERY fast and is very good at receiving, throwing and getting after bunts. They are complete opposites when it comes to body styles, but both in my opinion both are very "athletic". I think the tools are more important than being the most athletic. But alot of the time the ones with the tools are or have become the athletic ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah