Assistant Coach Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coach_jeffobi

1st Time Assistant Coach
Jan 17, 2010
Ontario, CA
So here's the thing,

I recently obtained a position as an assistant coach for my alma mater high school softball team.(I have 2 sisters on the team). It's volunteer as there is only enough funding to pay one assistant coach and another girl applied before me but that's not the issue I love coaching softball, it's my passion, but there's a problem.

The head coach (my boss) is a nice enough guy...sometimes, but his information and approach to practices contrast pretty severely with what I've learned, studied, gathered over the past few years to better myself as a coach. For example to teach throwing he says that the players should catch the ball while their glove side foot is coming down, shuffle, then throw. No real emphasis on any body mechanics or anything.(like what you see when players throwing rapidly back and forth to each other, no real room for mechanical teaching) I suggested the way Candrea teaches it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGBIJTxIsAo

And I was completely shut down, somewhat rudely also, with the reasoning being that he said it will make players throw with their front foot and not keep their weight back? It was just really confusing to me as I have NEVER seen players at high level collegiate throwing warm up throwing in any way other than Candrea's. I thought it was just common knowledge to warm up throws this way.

I don't want to place the blame on him, but the program is crumbling, it used to a great one, with a division championship just a few years back but now girls want to quit every year and have to be talked into coming back by other players, some key players left the school altogether for better coached programs, girls don't even show up to pre-season practice because of the atmosphere. He tends to be more hit a bunch of ground balls and then call it a day, without any real teaching of fundamentals.

I just want to see the program and the girls improve. Thats all I want, I don't care about winning league, division titles, or anything like that, I've been around the program for the past 4 years and I know this year is a rebuilding year, but the pace and focus of practice isn't improving and I don't feel that comfortable offering different approaches to practice anymore, just from the way I was shut down beforehand.

I don't want to quit and find a new program, I just want some advice as to how I can implement QUALITY practice without seeming like I'm being "out of line." The paid assistant coach isn't much better, especially on hitting information, it's pretty inaccurate from what is taught by coaches who look at the best hitters out there and model their swings after that. I'm just at such a loss at what I should do. Should I just direct my focus onto the players and they can see for themselves what feels right and wrong? Just any kind of help would be great. Sorry for the venting novel also ahaha.

Nov 8, 2010
If everything you stated about this head coach is correct, it seems to me he will be gone in a year or two anyway! We teach our 10u's the exact same technique MC teaches in that video. Pretty strange a high school coach won't even consider it.

Jul 26, 2010
Have an open mind, and learn what you can for the first year. You are much more open to learning if your expectations are empty and you're willing to take in no matter if it's contradictory to your own experiences.

IMHO, it sounds like if your high school girls have throwing issues, your best way to solve that is to go to the local rec league and help out there. This is where they learn to throw.

-W

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I just want some advice as to how I can implement QUALITY practice without seeming like I'm being "out of line."

I hope every Manager thinks they are having a quality practice, you might not agree with him, but I hope he thinks he is.

In order of worst roles to best:
1) Assistant Coach
2) Head Coach
3) Independent contractor
4) Parent

While I was an assistant coach; I have been listened too, I have been insulted, ignored, etc. You need to pick your battles. Sometimes just were them down. My frustration level got to high where I do know if I will be an assistant coach again. One of the most frustrating parts of the job is talking to parents defending a Manager’s position you disagree with. (Even more fun when you are defending their position about your DD to your wife. :) )

A Manager has a boss, if you think they are doing the program a disservice you can escalate the Issue otherwise you need to survive. I would discourage you in giving conflicting advice to the players, even if you are right.

coach_jeffobi

1st Time Assistant Coach
Jan 17, 2010
Ontario, CA
If everything you stated about this head coach is correct, it seems to me he will be gone in a year or two anyway! We teach our 10u's the exact same technique MC teaches in that video. Pretty strange a high school coach won't even consider it.

See the thing is that he's been there for the past 3 seasons and it's a private school he has pretty solid connections in, so I don't think he's going anywhere. Either way it's not like I want the program to myself, I know I'm no where near ready for that. I just don't understand where he gets his information from.

coach_jeffobi

1st Time Assistant Coach
Jan 17, 2010
Ontario, CA
IMHO, it sounds like if your high school girls have throwing issues, your best way to solve that is to go to the local rec league and help out there. This is where they learn to throw.

-W

Leave the program you mean? Or take the team to help a rec league? Either way, I'm not going to leave, I've tried helping in the local rec league, but I never get a position as the coaching pool is pretty much closed off from anyone who isn't already "in".
It's not so much a matter of throwing problems it's more there's a few players who could use some fine-tuning, and it's hard to do that if we're not REALLY working on solid mechanics.

coach_jeffobi

1st Time Assistant Coach
Jan 17, 2010
Ontario, CA
A Manager has a boss, if you think they are doing the program a disservice you can escalate the Issue otherwise you need to survive. I would discourage you in giving conflicting advice to the players, even if you are right.

See that's what I was contemplating, but I can't I just don't want to be "that guy" I just wish he was open to ideas outside his "philosophy." I'm not trying to usurp. I'm just trying to find a way to keep myself sane and ensure my players are improving every practice. I don't know how I would be able to give advice that conflicts with what I, as well as big name coaches(Candrea), teach as right. I don't outright contradict what he says after he's done explaining something. I just try to work along with what he gives them. I don't it's my first coaching gig, and I'm frustrated. But I guess what doesn't kill me makes me stronger. We're still in preseason, I guess I'll try to grin and bear it for the time being. As long as I'm doing my best to make the players better then I'm happy, I don't want to jeopardize my opportunity to do that. I'm sure wherever I am in my next level of coaching I'll look back on this as a...uh not so fond memory that built up my coach character. But thank you all for your advice I'll be sure to try and do my best with this situation. Again thanks.

-jeff

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Just a suggestion...but it may help you be "the guy" rather than "that guy".

Your talking about being able to communicate with him.
Your going to need those skills...in every future thing you do...even if its not coaching. And you definitely will need it with your assistants/parents/faculty/players etc… some day if you are “the head coach”.

How to do that?
1. Build rapport with him.
If you mismatch him in many ways...he isn't likely to listen to you. The more rapport you build with him...the more likely he is to listen to you. In fact if you haven’t built rapport with him and are wanting to make change…good luck, it ain’t likely. Build rapport first.
2. When talking to him...use words that he uses so he can understand you….when making suggestions/giving ideas….use words of choice.
Example...Maybe if she did so-so, she would get it. What do you think? Or Maybe if I worked on her doing so-so…it would help her. What do you think?
3. Be able to explain your ideas/self to him...the way he explains things…so he gets it. If he uses visual cues/words etc, you use them. If he uses verbal cues/words...you use them. If he is a action/kinesthetic words guy...you do the same.

These little things may increase your chances of helping him come to a “philosophical” change…all by himself…which is what your stated goal is. Its the same with players.

Quick story…I was coaching a 12 under league team. Third base was a strong headed little girl that would argue about the clouds on a sunny day. I was never right with her and she always had “THE” way it was. I built up rapport with her…then rather than telling her “what to do”…I approached it by saying “you MAY want to do try this”. Then I would show her and then leave it at that. She would usually say no at that time…yet it wasn’t long before she would usually be doing it…it seemed to have to be her decision. I could give you plenty of the same scenarios with adults.

Jul 26, 2010
Make him think it's all his idea. Give private lessons to a kid, when she's at practice throwing like a star, have her thank the head coach for showing her "X" and helping her throw.

Don't name drop, no one wants to hear "so and so does it this way". I agree with everything bobbyb said, you really have to build your relationship with the head coach and get him to respect you. Right now it seems that you don't respect him and he doesn't respect you, and you can't expect anything to be accomplished in that situation.

-W

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30