Assistant Coach Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2008
Teams are not a democracy, they are absolutely an autocracy. If the head coach says he wants players batting while on their heads, you need to ask if you can provide pillows for the girls to help them balance the round helmets on. If there is even the slightest appearance of disagreement to the players and the parents, they will assume a mutiny is in progress and will get in line on one side or the other. Just my 2 cents.

May 5, 2008
If there is even the slightest appearance of disagreement to the players and the parents, they will assume a mutiny is in progress and will get in line on one side or the other. Just my 2 cents.

Very true and it is very difficult to effectively coach with people who's values and basic principles don't line up with yours. You don't have to agree with every single decision, but your core values and principles should be in line with each other for best results.

People from the outside can also sense discourse. It also only takes ONE assistant coach to give people on the outside the impression that the coaches don't agree on things. I once had someone mention to players on my team that they need to set aside whatever drama is going on among players and whatever problems are going on between coaches...

Problems between coaches? There was only ONE coach who wasn't fully on board with what we were doing, and guess who this guy was talking to. This coach wasn't even around half the time and apparently dropped two cents with anyone interested in taking it. The rest of the coaches came up to me after this problems comment and asked what it was about. *sigh* Lesson learned for me...Next time I form a staff, this coach will not be on it.

Sometimes it's tough because there aren't too many choices in assistants or in where you can coach, but I've turned down many opportunities simply because I knew i could not fully support the staff that was asking me to come on board. That would be a disservice both to them and to the players.

It just makes things very difficult for HC when assistants aren't on board, but at the same time it's also difficult for assistants when all HC's want around them are "yes men." Both situations are obviously less than ideal.

coach_jeffobi

1st Time Assistant Coach
Jan 17, 2010
Ontario, CA
If you were coaching my child and teaching them to always catch or receive the ball square I would be upset! If I were assisting you and you insisted upon teaching the players on the team to always receive the ball square, I would be going as crazy as you are. lol

If you think you invite a positive response from me when you start off with a statement like that, then I guess we have some different views on tact. Never heard of Howard Kobata up until you mentioned him. Looked into him, and when I can afford it I will look into purchasing his fielding tapes and I am MORE than willing to learn all I can from him. But just so you understand, the hostility from me, is in response to that opening statement. Without that statement, this would still be a negativity free thread, and we could continue to discuss regularly. And still, my main focus wasn't on throwing/fielding technique, I believe the delving deeper into that topic was started up by someone else. Anywho, thanks for the Kobata plug, but I really don't think any of you would understand EXACTLY what my head coach is trying to explain without him explaining it to you. Then and only then would you be able to make a good judgement about what you feel is "correct."

And I am receptive to new information, in fact I thrive on it. The more I can fine tune and tweak my own coaching philosophy and what I teach the better. But in my honest opinion I feel that statement was unnecessary and somewhat rude. Thats all.

Last edited:

coach_jeffobi

1st Time Assistant Coach
Jan 17, 2010
Ontario, CA
Ummm...what was your complaint about the head coach - something about not being receptive? Stacie's advice is more relevant than you think - suggest you google Howard Kobata and then consider apologizing. I applaud and fully encourage your efforts to become a better SB coach, but you, Grasshopper, must recognize that there still is more to be learned.

I didn't make this thread for advice on fielding, throwing, etc. I've already stated what I made it for, and it was taken different routes...and you I really don't want to respond any further because of your implications of me not being willing to learn more than I already know. I never said I wasn't receptive to learning more about fielding, it's just that wasn't the question I asked in the first place. And again I thank the people who HAVE helped me with my ACTUAL question. I go into practices with a different mindset then before and I'm positive things will progress positively. THANKS AGAIN!

Mar 13, 2010
I'm starting to understand why your boss isn't receptive to your 'suggestions'

You're going to him with information that is slightly off. You are 100% right on this issue, no if's or butts. If you react to him the way you've reacted to some posters here, I understand 100% why he's not listening to you. You're not giving him a reason to!

Some people have given good advice here about building a rapport with the coach. You need to respect him. From your posts you clearly don't. If you don't respect him, you need to get out of the program, because you will achieve nothing. Work with his methods for a year. Learn them and use them. Next year try making some suggestions on better ways. You will have spent a year teaching his way and the coach will respect you.

Sport is about politics and people pleasing. It sucks big time, but that's life. The quicker you learn this, the quicker you will be able to effectively work with others.

Jan 12, 2009
Private lessons to the team he is on now! I don't thinks so....I'd fire his butt. Part of a coaching staff is having everybody believe in the same teachings and philosophy. You don't have to agree with all the things but in front of the others you need to act like you do. If this is not possible one of you needs to leave! We tell our girls looking to play ball at the college level to make sure not only do they have the academics they are looking for, but a coach who they can play under for four years. Do this by asking a lot of hard questions with others around. Same responsibility you took on when you accepted the position. Like it or not he does have the last say.

May 5, 2008
I have to agree with the idea that having two coaches on same staff that are obviously not on the same page does not help the team!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30