Asking for help again!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I'm not seeing it - what's the difference between the gifs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am just guessing but the older gentleman looks like his body is behind his hands a little better in the clip to the right vs the young man and the clip to the left.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Look specifically at the front arm (would be the hitter's left arm). Look at the location of the front shoulder and elbow and how that changes the angle of his front wrist when compared to the other one. Also, when looking at the red shirt gif, look at the position of the hitter's rear elbow, and then compare that to the gif I have added below. By the way, the "older gentleman" is Boardmember. Many here know him as a pitching guru, but he is very knowledgeable about hitting as well. Just don't see him in the hitting forums any more....

2lvnw46.jpg

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York

Sorry for the delay...death in the family and work has been unrelenting...

The difference is in "the race." Whose barrel gets to contact faster? This is not about the left arm (although there is certainly BM's lead arm usage like his video in there). The carve\filet thread (correct me if I'm wrong BM) is about describing a good barrel path, barrel whip, the hands relationship in forming a corner that facilitates barrel whip. I found the thread useful as we work through lingering DBSF issues...

Understand BM was purposely swinging up in both clips to give the naked eye the appearance that both clips are the same...they are not...

Where I made the snap shot - they are at the same frame - in which clip does the barrel get into the contact zone faster?

It is a great thread...get a login created over at baseball debate and read through the whole thing...EVEN if you do NOT agree with BM - it should broaden your perspective...

Educate your self...

As to the original poster...I wouldn't change a thing in DD's swing...lots of front toss and lots of OPPO work...

RDB...why post and then delete? I wasn't looking for an argument, I was looking for you to offer your opinion on your clip vs the carve\filet thread as I respect your opinion. I'm not here to show I'm right...I threw that out there because I felt the discussion that could have ensued could have been helpful...everything doesn't need to be a pissing contest...

CP

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Look specifically at the front arm (would be the hitter's left arm). Look at the location of the front shoulder and elbow and how that changes the angle of his front wrist when compared to the other one. Also, when looking at the red shirt gif, look at the position of the hitter's rear elbow, and then compare that to the gif I have added below. By the way, the "older gentleman" is Boardmember. Many here know him as a pitching guru, but he is very knowledgeable about hitting as well. Just don't see him in the hitting forums any more....

2lvnw46.jpg

Great gif...

The barrel is turned forward...the barrel does not "bop" the catcher's head...CP

Feb 16, 2015
South East

The difference is in "the race." Whose barrel gets to contact faster? This is not about the left arm (although there is certainly BM's lead arm usage like his video in there). The carve\filet thread (correct me if I'm wrong BM) is about describing a good barrel path, barrel whip, the hands relationship in forming a corner that facilitates barrel whip. I found the thread useful as we work through lingering DBSF issues...

Understand BM was purposely swinging up in both clips to give the naked eye the appearance that both clips are the same...they are not...

Where I made the snap shot - they are at the same frame - in which clip does the barrel get into the contact zone faster?

It is a great thread...get a login created over at baseball debate and read through the whole thing...EVEN if you do NOT agree with BM - it should broaden your perspective...

Educate your self...

As to the original poster...I wouldn't change a thing in DD's swing...lots of front toss and lots of OPPO work...

RDB...why post and then delete? I wasn't looking for an argument, I was looking for you to offer your opinion on your clip vs the carve\filet thread as I respect your opinion. I'm not here to show I'm right...I threw that out there because I felt the discussion that could have ensued could have been helpful...everything doesn't need to be a pissing contest...

CP

CP

Sorry to hear the tragic news Prayers.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Educate your self...

CP

Carve and filet is 2 moves. Vertical or diagonal and horizontal. The hands have to do 2 different things which is 2 moves.
There is only one move in these hitters:
CPujols.gif
CCabrera.gif

The barrel is turned 'rearward' towards the ball against a forward turning rear leg/hips.

I removed my post because it was 'argumentative and negative. I also think most posters don't really care about hitting minutia like maybe me, you and a few others.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Carve and filet is 2 moves. Vertical or diagonal and horizontal. The hands have to do 2 different things which is 2 moves.

CPujols.gif
CCabrera.gif

The barrel is turned 'rearward' towards the ball against a forward turning rear leg/hips.

I removed my post because it was 'argumentative and negative. I also think most posters don't really care about hitting minutia like maybe me, you and a few others.

First bold above.... I guess it depends on your definition of a "move" and what is creating that "move". IMO there are some very subtle things going on that most would classify minutia.

Second bold above... I agree with you completely, and I am right there with you and Chris :)

May 4, 2012
CPujols.gif
CCabrera.gif

As they say - the devil is in the details. Best to understand the nuances. One of the little "details" may make a world of difference for a person's daughter. That's why I hate PM's -they effectively filter info

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut