ASA vs. PONY

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
What are the advantages/disadvantages of ASA vs. PONY? Can a team play in ASA and PONY tournaments? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Feb 6, 2009
ASA is the one that is linked to college ball, has national presence, is the historic body. Pony is pretty much limited to, I hear, the northeast.

Agreed but in the North east at U12 and U14 it's a great way to go. The PONY system makes signing up for tournaments much easier. It's all the same teams playing in both PONY and ASA. But just the ease of registering for PONY and getting in a tournament swing it for PONY to me. I also think the PONY national event is a great thing for U12 and U18 girls.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
Agreed but in the North east at U12 and U14 it's a great way to go. The PONY system makes signing up for tournaments much easier. It's all the same teams playing in both PONY and ASA. But just the ease of registering for PONY and getting in a tournament swing it for PONY to me. I also think the PONY national event is a great thing for U12 and U18 girls.

That's why I'm asking the question. PONY seems much easier to register, etc. ASA, quite frankly, seems like one big hassle. I'm assuming to play in an ASA tournament the team needs to be ASA registered and the same for PONY. I guess it's just a matter of how many PONY vs. ASA tournaments there are.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
To play ASA I believe all individual girls, as well as the team, must be registered with ASA and be covered with ASA's insurance. Most other associations accept ASA insurance, but ASA does not accept anything else. Don't know about PONY.

Nov 1, 2009
PONY is primarily a league association that dabbles in travel ball. ASA is where you need to be if you want to play the best competition in the country. Now for many teams national exposure isn't really the factor and if your local teams play PONY then by all means play PONY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy