ASA rule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 9, 2010
My daughters team is playing a ASA tourney this weekend. She currently plays USSSA ball which allows a step back of the non pivot foot and was how she was pitching. I have since broke her of that but I have another concern before she takes the circle this weekend. She does exactly what the girl in this video does. She rocks back on the heel of her pivot foot (lifts her toes). Is this legal? I don't think it is but need to ask so I can try to work it out of her before Saturday.

Apr 13, 2010
Legal as far as I know. The only requirement is that both feet touch the rubber until the stride foot leaves.

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
Legal, as long as the foot maintains contact with the pitching plate. The rule to which you are referring states that you cannot lift your front foot off of the pitching plate, as this creates a rocking motion. As long as her foot is still in contact, she is fine.

Oct 15, 2009
My DD was called for illegal pitch twice in an ASA tourney in North Carolina, she was rocking back with her pivot foot. After game umpire explained it like this, rocking back is not illegal but if the heel is on the front edge of rubber the push off will be 5 to 6 inches in front of rubber and that was illegal. He said if the rocking motion started with heel on back edge of rubber it would be ok. DD pitched 3 games before it was called but was called twice in championship game. I thought I saw at least 1 pitcher in wcws using the same form and no illegal was called, we eliminated the rock back and no more IP has been called.

Jan 27, 2010
My DD was called for illegal pitch twice in an ASA tourney in North Carolina, she was rocking back with her pivot foot. After game umpire explained it like this, rocking back is not illegal but if the heel is on the front edge of rubber the push off will be 5 to 6 inches in front of rubber and that was illegal. He said if the rocking motion started with heel on back edge of rubber it would be ok. DD pitched 3 games before it was called but was called twice in championship game. I thought I saw at least 1 pitcher in wcws using the same form and no illegal was called, we eliminated the rock back and no more IP has been called.
ASA Rule 6.3.J. states"Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher's plate is illegal". The ump apparently was saying that the push off was taking place in the dirt in front of the rubber. Rule 6.3.I. refers to "push off from the pitcher's plate" and the rocking motion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar