As September 1st draws near...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2019
Hopefully people aren’t too fixated on the September 1st date as some absolute as the amount of interest in their DD. It’s not like you see on ESPN during the NFL draft 😂

I was just talking to a coach this week about September 1st, and she said “The 1st is over a holiday weekend; I’m going to be at the lake. I’m not making any calls from my boat”

Jun 11, 2012
As Marriard stated in his first post the importance of "Will I still love the school if softball isn't a factor" is huge.

DD has too many friends who made the decision on where to go based on the division of the school not on whether or not they liked the school. One ended up needed surgery and couldn't play much freshman year. Because of that there was little bonding with the team and she felt like an outcast but in order to transfer and get a similar amount of athletic money she needs to stay for sophomore year and actually play. Transferring without that money is unfortunately not in the cards financially.

DD is a sophomore at a D3 where she started all but 3 games freshman year and absolutely loves the school. She knew the minute we toured that this was the school she wanted to be at. We toured a bunch of other coaches and she was in touch with a number of other coaches from other divisions but this is where she wanted to be and so far is exceeding her expectations.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
As the 2021 communication period opens what if you have choices?
Do you choose the school at the level DD wants to play at that offers the most money?
The team may not be great but DD will play.
What about the school that's a reach but they want your DD but offer much less than the weaker team?
Major is important but what if DD is not dead set on a major just yet?
Do you jump on the first juicy offer or wait and risk losing a great offer to a different player?
2021 is really the first year where the new recruiting rules have impacted in a big way. Most 2020s were just about done the process when the rule changed.
A girl DD knows has a count down on her twitter feed that DD told me about. I had tried to be quiet because I dont want to put any thoughts or pressure in her head. I asked if she was nervous and she said extremely. I told her it doesnt matter if she gets 50 calls or none that the process isn't over. Academics will also play a big roll. If Alabama offered 100% she would turn them down because they don't offer her major. I'm glad she knows the next 60 years are more important than the next 6.

This line above does have me wondering. The only two things I know for certain is that DD has two top Jucos that will take her in a second. The coaches know she will probably go mid major DI but understand if we do not get the right fit out of HS Juco is an option she would be happy with. This has helped settle her nerves some. The second thing that I have not shared with her is that she is on the list at her #1 school but her offer is would depend on another player turning them down. I was told they had their money tied up chasing pitching and power and if they miss on someone there will be money available.

Do we wait for her #1 to see and possibly let another good opportunity pass? I do feel like this isn't going to be a September 1st and it's over. Outside of top 15 or so programs or ones that committed a big class before the change I think their will be time to look around for both teams and players. I also think there will be some shock when previously committed kids find out the opportunity isn't still there. I have seen several of these that have been passed by girls that were not getting looks at all.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Hopefully people aren’t too fixated on the September 1st date as some absolute as the amount of interest in their DD. It’s not like you see on ESPN during the NFL draft 😂

I was just talking to a coach this week about September 1st, and she said “The 1st is over a holiday weekend; I’m going to be at the lake. I’m not making any calls from my boat”

I can definitely see that. I also would bet that the coaches have been working on emails/DM's to players so a GA can simply hit "send" for them. The players knows they are interested and the coach can reach out after the holiday.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
just wanted to say this is the kind of thread I joined this group to read.. Good information all around. My DD is a 2022 so not too concerned about it all yet, although I know we will be there next year which will be here before she knows it..
I hope all your DD's get offers to the schools that fit them best... keep posting as I'm for one interested in the choices and the mindsets of all your players and this time approaches.

May 27, 2013
This is D1 only right? Everyone else can talk to 2021’s now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. DII and DIII can reach out. Dd has had calls with DIII and it’s so hard because it all depends on academics right now.

Feb 12, 2014
DD is a 2021 who verballed to her dream school in February of 2018 which was shortly before the rule changed. The staff then moved on later that year to a different school which has left my kid in complete limbo for more than a year. I can't think she's the only 2021 who has been in this situation and it has really sucked.

Since this is where she wants to go with softball being only a part of the decision, she made the decision to be patient and keep the commitment on her end. I know she's really hoping to finally know something this weekend. Hopefully, she does.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13