As September 1st draws near...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD was contacted by several schools on her list on Sunday morning. Some sent emails and few reached out to her travel coach for her cell number. The biggest stress for me and DW was watching her as she had conversations with college coaches. Of the schools that contacted her about half invited her to camps and the others showed genuine interest. She has a few visits set up based on the calls.
I won't get into specifics obviously but she was blown away by a few schools that were not on her radar. The others that reached out she has been emailing since 8th grade. She's a pitcher so maybe they are looking pitcher first.
DD2 is in similar situation as your DD. She's also primarily a pitcher. She had 9 schools reach out. 5 that followed her for last 2 years. 3 that watched this Summer and 1 that has one of her teammates verballed and saw DD2 do some good things this Summer.. That was a nice surprise. One school we thought would reach out never did. Which is OK. She might have been 3 or 4 on their list. We still have 3 more visits in Sept. and hope to commit by Oct. if that's what she wants to do.

Jun 27, 2018
2021 DD has been sending emails and video to coaches on all levels. Mostly D2 snd D3. She only has been in contact with 3 D1 schools. After 9-1, she flat out asked one school if they were interested (before I signed her up for another prospect camp). They nicely told her they were looking for a different type of player. Another D1 school happened to see her at a camp back in early Spring. Coaches were talking while watching her hit. They seemed a little interested. She chatted a little with them. Didn’t hear much of anything after that. I think she might have received a general email from them prior to Sept 1 about a camp or something. So last weekend we were playing in a showcase not too far from that campus. DD sent an email to them telling her schedule. I have no idea if they actually showed up. Interesting enough they contacted her this week inviting her to a prospect camp later this Fall, which is apparently limited to a certain number of prospects. So I have no idea if this is real interest or not, but she is going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
So Sept 1st came and went. Everyone is excited about getting their verbals but No one is talking about the dirty side of this recruiting thing. I heard of two girls that got decommitted by the schools they verballed to. Two P5 schools!!! SEC and Big12. Pretty sad to hear this.

Oct 5, 2015
So Sept 1st came and went. Everyone is excited about getting their verbals but No one is talking about the dirty side of this recruiting thing. I heard of two girls that got decommitted by the schools they verballed to. Two P5 schools!!! SEC and Big12. Pretty sad to hear this.

It is sad. The power needs to shift back to the recruit and hopefully the new rules will do just that. Certainly, there will be residual from the old rules. A girl verbals and then can't talk for a year or two. Crazy. It would be interesting to hear how the decomit played out.

Did those players not continue the progression track that the Two P5's had hoped? Was there a coaching change? If the colleges weren't attending her games post-verbal, I would think players (and parents) might have been worried.

My youngest played (now at college) several times this past summer against a rising sophomore who verballed in 8th grade to a P5. New rules mean radio silence so while it all seems like wine and roses when the verbal occurs, the grind doesn't stop.

The hard work comes after the verbal...to stay committed on both sides.

Apr 28, 2014

That's sad! I will say that I have only heard of this happening to two kids since we've been involved in this sport (aside from coaching changes which everything it out the window there). Both were kids who raised eyebrows when people learned that they committed to programs that, seemed to outsiders, to be way over their head.

May 29, 2019
I know of one probably de-commit (don't know all the details), and another that got roughly half of her money pulled. Both Big 10 schools. The latter girl was one of those situations where the coach found another talent she wanted, and needed to "free up" some money to get her. She de-committed herself, and now has a full ride to a mid-major if all goes according to plan.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
One of the players that I mentioned got on a plane with her family for a visit and was committed to her new school in less than a week. She will still be in the SEC. I hope to see her smashing the ball over the fence a lot in a few years. Others aren't so fortunate.

But yes, I would like to know why these players were let go. Only for learning purposes for future athletes as to why a coach would let you go after recruiting you.

Feb 17, 2014
I know of two 2020s that had their offers pulled. One was told she wasn't progressing like she needed to. The other made the bad decision of posting some dumb stuff to Instagram.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2